Sad Reminders

An Unofficial Mark Kozelek Site

You are not logged in.

Announcement

This forum is now READ ONLY. The new forum is here. Read why we have a new forum here.

#31 04-27-2010 2:43am

Chris Quartly
Website

Re: Admiral Fell Promises (New Album!! July 13th)

Great news, can't wait for the record!

Quick to Judge
Quick to Anger
Slow to Understand

#32 04-27-2010 3:33am

Concern Charity Fundrazer

Wondering why Third and Seneca was ringing a bell....I was thinking of Old Growler Tom Waits 9th and Hennepin. Any folks meeting up at a local pub before the Union Chapel shindig? I'm flying over from Dublin for it although he might add a Dublin date anyway.

#33 04-27-2010 6:28am

sml

seepingthrough wrote:

@sml

Great transcription, sounds about right, which recording are you getting this from, I'm using the St. Philips Church show.

Thanks. Yeah from the Salford show.

Things mean a lot at the time   ...don't mean nothing later.

#34 04-27-2010 2:03pm

GreatDivide

afp is great -the live version posted with the strings is amazing but that is the exception. normally, the stings don't accompany it.

#35 04-28-2010 8:08am

torch

http://www.glidemagazine.com/articles/5 … mises.html

They say the album will be all Mark, all nylon string guitar...

#36 04-28-2010 9:42am

seepingthrough

Oh god no, hopes dashed of a good balance between the electric driven stuff from ghosts and the fingerplucking stuff in April.

Red House Painters Live Shows and Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/meolox

#37 04-28-2010 10:00am

lament
Site Owner
Website

torch wrote:

They say the album will be all Mark, all nylon string guitar...

Not sure where they got that idea from.. would be interesting if true.

#38 04-28-2010 10:18am

seepingthrough

How credible is this Glide Magazine, their front page has "Sunk Kil Moon Releasing Admiral Fell Promises" hmm

#39 04-28-2010 11:16am

pfloydman

That would be pretty disappointing if it was recorded as all nylon string acoustic, and I doubt Glide Magazine just pulled it out of thin air. IMO, that's Mark just being lazy. Take a song such as Moorestown and listen to the difference between a live acoustic version (which is good) and the studio version (which is amazing). Same can be said for loads of other songs in Mark's catalog (Carry Me Ohio, Grace Cathedral Park...). Would expect most of you to agree................

Last edited by pfloydman (04-28-2010 11:17am)

21 with nothing hanging over you
i want nothing else

#40 04-28-2010 12:41pm

Pierre21
Website

Well, it depends. I'm not a fan of the solo acoustic finger-picked songs. I prefer Mark with a band backing him.

But if you think about a song like Heron Blue, for example, was all recorded on classical guitar (or am I mistaken ?). I thought it was very good. Because it was not your usual travis-picking on open-tuning stuff. It had layers and layers and built up dynamic...

I think you have to be open-minded about the possible output : I think it could turn out to be a stark masterpiece if given the appropriate amount of work...

#41 04-28-2010 12:51pm

coupdetat

Well, to be honest, when I heard about the new album I got very excited. And then when I heard it's an all acoustic album, I got less excited. I looked on a couple of other sites, and the rumor appears to be true that it's only Mark and the nylon strings. If it's only him playing, why wouldn't it just be considered a Mark Kozelek album? On all the Sun Kil Moon albums, other musicians have played along with him. I think Mark is somewhat listening to his fans, because all the die-hard ones have wanted an Admiral Fell Promises studio version for years, but I don't know why he chose to go solo on this one. So basically this should just be like a live album without the audience and better sound quality? I don't know, but I guess I'm gonna have to keep dreaming of a Ghosts of the Great Highway II or at least an album that can top it.

#42 04-28-2010 1:00pm

seepingthrough

What confuses me is why he didn't just release it under his name, how is it "Sun Kil Moon" if it's just mark?

#43 04-28-2010 2:15pm

lament
Site Owner
Website

seepingthrough wrote:

What confuses me is why he didn't just release it under his name, how is it "Sun Kil Moon" if it's just mark?

exactly.. doesn't make sense.

what seeping through said re: credibility of some random site.

I'll wait for the press release.

#44 04-28-2010 2:26pm

Pierre21
Website

coupdetat wrote:

So basically this should just be like a live album without the audience and better sound quality?

See that's what I thought at first when I heard what is still, let's be honest, a vague rumor. But if it is true, it's not meant to be that way.

Another example, songs like Lucky Man and Blue Orchids on April are not just him with ONE guitar, sitting down and playing the song. As sparse as these songs sound, they are quite "layered" to some extent too (there's double tracking on almost everything in fact).

"All acoustic on nylon-string guitar" doesn't mean the studio equivalent of live. Since Mark Kozelek is so fond of the classical guitar, we can hope he's used it to its full extent... Solos, instrumentals parts... Not just finger-picking chords to accompany his voice.

Last edited by Pierre21 (04-28-2010 2:27pm)

#45 04-28-2010 4:45pm

seepingthrough

Perhaps the reason Mark has decided to bring this out under the Sun Kil Moon name and not Mark Kozelek  (assuming it is actually just him solo) is because of the recent publicity SKM have received (Video Game trailer music).

That said it's just one site so far that claims its just Mark, I'll only believe it if sunkilmoon.com confirm it.

http://prod1.cmj.com/articles/display_a … =177548190

This site seems to think it's an all acoustic too.

Last edited by seepingthrough (04-28-2010 4:54pm)

Board footer