Sad Reminders

An Unofficial Mark Kozelek Site

You are not logged in.

Announcement

This forum is now READ ONLY. The new forum is here. Read why we have a new forum here.

#16 12-27-2009 10:43am

seepingthrough

Re: Rarity of RHP Vinyl

My copy of rollercoaster sounds just-ok, certainly no better than the CD but no worse. I don't recall hearing a hum when I last listened to it, I was worried it'd be pressed off center and I'd have to put up with more wonkyness in Koz' voice but it was fine unlike some other 4AD records I've got, my Pale saints comforts of madness vinyl is so badly pressed off center it's unplayable.

Red House Painters Live Shows and Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/meolox

#17 12-27-2009 5:45pm

Katy

doggie_diner wrote:

zorch! I'm unsure how truthfully rare the vinyls really are folks, so never give speculators an easy ride when ye come across copies of skm, rhp wax. I dunno will anybody agree with me but i think the rollercoaster lps were pressed very poorly, a friend agrees with me. his copy appears perfect, like mine, but sounds like the hum of tractor(most likely massey ferguson model165) when put at average treble and it distorts like nobody's business. something tells me 4ad started cutting costs in the 90's. Maybe the girl ''katy'' showing off her vinyls in that picture might agree with me, assuming she has listened to them, rather than fetishise them like prized antique saucers.
I usually fashion my records into spinner tops or use them as frisbees.music is throwaway, it's great.

Haha, nah, vinyl wants to be spun. Of all the vinyl pressings I have within this particular lot, I actually find Rollercoaster to be one of the best sounding. Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that I invested in a particularly decent-sounding Rega turntable, but I find that one heavier and better-sounding than the other 4ad painters vinyls I have - no surface noise save for a small scuff left by its previous owner. Worst sound likely goes to Sub Pop's pressing of Old Ramon - which I purchased sealed and mint.

#18 12-27-2009 8:25pm

Katy

Well, I'll not argue with that. Perhaps I'll have a night of wine and vinyl soon and listen to both records. Hopefully both will inspire beard-stroking brilliance wink And no, I certainly have no qualms with your turntable. Until last year I had nothing but mum's old junker to play with.
For now, I'll enjoy my copy of The Velvet Underground and Nico that my good bro gave me as a Christmas gift. Bless his heart.

#19 12-27-2009 8:51pm

seepingthrough

Oh I only just realised you're the katy-song from last.fm, you never accepted my friend request and we're super compatibility sad
Noticed you have nadja in your top artists this week, they're so insanely disappointing live, which is a shame I was looking forward to seeing them.

#20 12-28-2009 2:18pm

Charles
Website

Does anyone think that Mark might ever release a compact disc compilation of his vinyl-only songs (Gentle Moon on Ghosts, alternate Exit Does Not Exist on Tiny Cities, Long Distance Runaround from Ocean Beach, etc.)?

Also, "Venus In Furs" is a classic.:)

I hate to see you look that way
All the beauty has left your face
That's such an easy thing to give away
That's impossible to replace -American Music Club

#21 12-29-2009 12:37am

untalkative

Katy wrote:

Haha, nah, vinyl wants to be spun. Of all the vinyl pressings I have within this particular lot, I actually find Rollercoaster to be one of the best sounding. Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that I invested in a particularly decent-sounding Rega turntable, but I find that one heavier and better-sounding than the other 4ad painters vinyls I have - no surface noise save for a small scuff left by its previous owner. Worst sound likely goes to Sub Pop's pressing of Old Ramon - which I purchased sealed and mint.

Same for me. Old Ramon sounds flat and lifeless. Much worse than the CD. All the 4AD pressed records sound as good as any vinyl I own.

#22 01-05-2010 6:36pm

elusivechris
Website

Katy wrote:

Took a little time, but I've got what I wanted big_smile

5zlbsy.jpg

You don't want to know how much some of these cost me...

all you need is Song for a Blue G !

<-- that's me & Koz , Dec 03 & Voo Doo Fire !

#23 01-06-2010 6:17am

seepingthrough

Did anyone see the signed copy of songs for a blue geetar on ebay? It had no bids at the end so i put one in for the starting price and won it....I really hope it's genuine, won't be too disappointed if it's not.

Here's an image of the autograph, anyone with knowledge of marks signature know if its genuine?

http://s980.photobucket.com/albums/ae28 … 043JPG.jpg

#24 01-06-2010 6:36am

sebbydee
Website

seepingthrough wrote:

Did anyone see the signed copy of songs for a blue geetar on ebay? It had no bids at the end so i put one in for the starting price and won it....I really hope it's genuine, won't be too disappointed if it's not.

Here's an image of the autograph, anyone with knowledge of marks signature know if its genuine?

http://s980.photobucket.com/albums/ae28 … 043JPG.jpg

It may be his...i got some stuff with just "MK". the writing style looks like the ones i got autograped...

#25 01-06-2010 7:41am

seepingthrough

Ahhh lucky me. Too bad my copy of down colorful hill still hasn't arrived, damm you royal mail. It left the seller a week or two ago, knowing the postal service in this country its probably gone missing or if not it will surely be damaged sad

#26 01-08-2010 9:39pm

Katy

@ seepingthrough...
I understand your pain. I bought Down Colorful Hill, If You Want Blood, Shock Me, and the Duk Koo Kim 10" from the same ebay seller first. He's anal about his collection, they were near mint, well packed, nice guy, all that. USPS lost the package, it never turned up. Got my money back through PayPal, and had to track down each separately again. Cost me much more that way. Worst part is knowing that there are four beautiful Kozelek vinyls sitting in some post warehouse, customs office, or greedy postal employee's collection.

elusivechris wrote:

all you need is Song for a Blue G !

Got both the black and blue. I'm a nerd.

And yes, I listen to them. Often.

#27 01-09-2010 6:02pm

seepingthrough

@Katy

Ouch, I feel sorry for the the guy knowing his collection is now somewhere it won't be appreciated. Luckily though my copy of DCH turned up today in perfect condition.

#28 02-16-2010 4:43am

Concern Charity Fundrazer

You remind me of the main character in "The Wasp Factory" book :-)

#29 02-17-2010 8:20am

Gurkov

doggie, i think the character henry fool may have been loosely based on you.

#30 04-07-2010 4:40am

mogambo

I'm very excited and this is the only place to share my joy!

I finally scored a copy of Rollercoaster, that i've been looking for for years! And I got it for 25 pounds smile

Board footer