Sad Reminders

An Unofficial Mark Kozelek Site

You are not logged in.

Announcement

This forum is now READ ONLY. The new forum is here. Read why we have a new forum here.

#1 04-16-2008 3:10pm

Trebor

How 'April' could have been improved...

There's actually a decent album struggling to get out of the official version. In addition to improving some of his vocal takes, 'April' should have had fewer tracks and a bit more editing done to it. The following tracklist is the version I think 'April' should have been released as:

Lost Verses
The Light [possibly with a more dynamic mix]
Lucky Man [piano version]
Heron Blue
Moorestown
Harper Road
Tonight in Bilbao [with the last 2-3 minutes rewritten or edited]
Blue Orchids

For those who have not been happy with this release, please share your thoughts.

Last edited by Trebor (04-16-2008 3:17pm)

#2 04-16-2008 3:41pm

michaelnebraska
Website

Re: How 'April' could have been improved...

this post is nit-picking insanity.
how dare you question and think you can improve a classic record?
if you'd written the songs then, fair play, you could look back and alter what you felt was wrong but this is the worst, worst kind of 'fan' post....the fan that thinks they know better than the artist they pretend to treasure.
some of the production is not all it could have been but surely this is a diamond of a record in a time of superficial bullshit bands that are worth next to nothing.
i particularly love the idea of 'tonight in bilbao' having it's last three minutes 'rewritten' - by you?
i get so sick of people who claim to be fans at shows shouting abuse at mark, and this is no better.

'It hurts every time I smile'
'I can fix that for you'

#3 04-16-2008 4:19pm

Trebor

michaelnebraska wrote:

this post is nit-picking insanity.
how dare you question and think you can improve a classic record?
if you'd written the songs then, fair play, you could look back and alter what you felt was wrong but this is the worst, worst kind of 'fan' post....the fan that thinks they know better than the artist they pretend to treasure.
some of the production is not all it could have been but surely this is a diamond of a record in a time of superficial bullshit bands that are worth next to nothing.
i particularly love the idea of 'tonight in bilbao' having it's last three minutes 'rewritten' - by you?
i get so sick of people who claim to be fans at shows shouting abuse at mark, and this is no better.

Maybe you've forgotten that Mark is an artist and all forms of art are subject to scrutiny and criticism - there are no exceptions. So, are you saying that you would also condemn all album reviews that didn't award 'April' 5/5? Shouldn't others have the right to disagree with your tastes and views? It's attitudes like yours that make this world the messed-up emotional junkyard that it sadly is...

Last edited by Trebor (04-16-2008 4:26pm)

#4 04-16-2008 4:27pm

nickgarv7

"how dare you question and think you can improve a classic record?"

that might be one of the most condescending statements/questions ever!!
how could you say that?

after reading your post you make it sound as if everyone in the world should regard this album as a masterpiece/classic record!!??  how can it be a classic when it's only been out for..... not even a month???
(16 days..lol) I'm not trying to put words in your mouth, but wow!  this takes the cake.

anyways, to reply to trebor...

i'm with you...i feel the tracks that are great...are really good!

'the light' does nothing for me...just too generic.  i just won't ever turn on to it.
'tonight the sky' ...way too long,  it does not need to be 10:21...maybe 6:21 haha.
'like the river'... i can't get into for some reason, not my flavor (not saying it's terrible songwriting)
'heron blue'...i like how it starts, but i wished it would have erupted into something instead of an anti-climax.
all the others are very nice in their own way!
'lost verses'  ...absolutely stunning...top 10 Koz song for sure!
'harper road'...u really can't get much more beautiful in 3.5 minutes.
'tonight in bilbao'...such an amazing atmosphere...i feel like i'm drifting/weightless when i listen

i can't say that i have not been happy with this release, but i am just a little disappointed because there's 4 songs i just really can't get into...7/11 isn't classic/amazing ALBUM.  sorry

"...and the angels who looked upon, they never came down."

#5 04-16-2008 5:09pm

neverending math equation

I think April is a good album, not a great one. I think the only great album Mark has released was Ghosts of the Great Highway. I think April falls along with Songs For A Blue Guitar, and Rollercoaster slightly above the both of them.

Lost Verses (to me) is a good length. It's long but it does keep you entertained and listening all the way through.

Tonight the Sky. When I first heard this I thought it was a masterpiece, but lately I've just been fast-forwarding to the chorus and skip the rest of it.

Heron Blue. It's definitely different and unlike anything he's done in the past. Just wish there was something else in there for me.

The Light. Great lyrics, but very musically weak and uninspired. Sounds like an out-take from Rock N Roll Singer and Make Like Paper. I prefer the acoustic version on the bonus disc. The lyrics fit that sound better than the electric.

#6 04-16-2008 6:26pm

tricycleboy

It's interesting how you can tell in our comments what parts of Mark's songwriting appeals to us.  For example, while I occasionally tire of the finger picking style, it is that style that serves to reassure me what a genius he is in writing and arranging.  My favorites on April are "Mooretown", "Unlit Hallway", "Like the River", and similarly written songs, while my least are when he tries to sound like Crazy Horse (and I observed this before the Nights preface), all that guitar masturbation.

I hadn't even heard the alternate version of "Duk Koo Kim" until the Nights EP, and it mesmerizes me, more so that the original.

Who can pretend there's a beginning without an end?

#7 04-17-2008 12:08am

elusivechris
Website

I haven't really listened to April enough to give any real input, but i can tell you that "I never know where I am" when i am listening to it, nothing on this album really sticks out good or bad, I can honestly say that theres not any "depressive ballads" on this one *examples: Bubble, Carry Me Ohio" Ocean Breathes Salty (i know its a cover),Katy Song,DKK, you get the idea.

April to me sounds like Koz is getting old and just recorded some songs with a jam band, meaning loose. I don't mean that in a bad way, just sounds like hes having fun and not really focusing on anything in particular.

Lost Vs. sounds cute like Wop a Din Din

The Light   its an ok song repeats the main riff WAY TOO long!

Lucky man  doesnt do anything, damn finger picking againhaha

I CAN'T STAND UNLIT HALLWAY!   the vocals are so boring, I don't need to say how awful the words seem?

Heron Blue is AWESOME! total Woven Hand as I suggest before.

Moorestown is good, I think its decent, just the lyrics don't do much.

Harper Road is ok, sounds like Sundays and Holidays

Tonight the Sky is SO boring, with bad riffs and totally terrible dist

Like The River is ok kinda boring

Tonight in Bilboa is SO GREAT! really the best song on the album I think think one starts to hit me in the middle, his choice of vocal melodies are so bleak, the lyrics from what I can make out are great too!
the part where he says I left Tonight in Bilao, to Barcelona OMG it just hits me so hard!

Blue Orchids doesnt do anything at all, its not bad though

I havent gotten to the ALT versions yet, but i will say that I think its so awesome that he put these on there for us! what a pothead!

<-- that's me & Koz , Dec 03 & Voo Doo Fire !

#8 04-17-2008 3:06am

TerryEmm

I'd like to see any of you guys make an album that barely compares to April....though....

#9 04-17-2008 6:56am

neverending math equation

I did make an album a couple years ago that compares to April. I called it 'May.' Here's the tracklisting:

Lost Pencils
The Light From A Flashlight
Lucky In Love, Not So Lucky Now
Who Turned Out The Lights In The Hallway? (I nearly stubbed my toe remix)
Gray Pigeon
Waco, TX
Roads That Lead Me To Places I Like To Go
Tonight We Fight (anthem)
Like Whatever
Tonight In The Netherlands
Blue Underwear

#10 04-17-2008 7:13am

klaher

Well I've had it since the end of March and here's what I think:

Lost Verses - pleasant enough but a bit overlong.  Like the ending though

The Light - drifts along ok but not wild about it

Lucky Man - now this is more like it.  Someone said before it sounds a bit like Nick Drake and I agree. 

Unlit Hallway - I don't know why I like it so much, but I really do.  It's quite catchy and the banjo makes me smile

Heron Blue - really like this, it's eerie and unsettling

Moorestown - drifts along nicely but I'm not wild about it

Harper Road - it's alright I suppose but not mad on his falsetto

Tonight the Sky - couldn't stop playing this one at first.  It's fantastic cranked at a loud volume.  Really like the guitar sound (though it's totally Crazy Horse)

Like The River - not mad on this one, sounds like a Bonnie Prince Billy song, maybe

Tonight in Bilbao - really like this one, it's long but really soaring and when the strings come in it's great

Blue Orchids - I can't stop listening to this one.  The last 90 seconds or so is one of the most beautiful pieces of music I've heard.

Overall I really like April.

#11 04-17-2008 10:24am

Cameron

I absolutely adore this album JUST how it is.

can almost hear rollercoasters see sailboats in the sea
hear noise and screaming
weaving in and out of
happy music box sounds

#12 04-17-2008 11:53am

sheeshumunga

Enough with the nitpicking, whining, and complaining about April from Trebor already. All you've done is complain. Just be glad Mark's still making music.

Dude, fix your fucking face.

#13 04-17-2008 1:13pm

TerryEmm

This album is brilliant lyrically don't forget, they really touch things with me

Last edited by TerryEmm (04-17-2008 1:14pm)

#14 04-17-2008 2:05pm

zeejaydee

i say we leave it alone...give it a while to soak in. I'll be the first to admit that I didn't get some of the early RHP stuff until I really kept listening to it. For me, giving an album time allows me to connect with all the things that at first may seem redundant or repetitive.

#15 04-17-2008 2:09pm

Charles
Website

There are definitely a couple songs that I don't care for on the album (The Light, Like the River), but other than those bland songs I think it's great. I also like the bonus disc versions of both of those songs, just not the album versions.

I hate to see you look that way
All the beauty has left your face
That's such an easy thing to give away
That's impossible to replace -American Music Club

Board footer