Sad Reminders

An Unofficial Mark Kozelek Site

You are not logged in.

Announcement

This forum is now READ ONLY. The new forum is here. Read why we have a new forum here.

#1 03-27-2008 10:17am

YearsFly

no love for Heron Blue?!

It's strange that this seems to be the song that most people have been rating lowest on April. I think it's amazing and one of the best songs on the album. It hit me right away. My buddy who is a big Kozelek fan wasn't too impressed by it either...so strange...it's such an amazing slow builder!

#2 03-27-2008 10:27am

aphonik
Website

Re: no love for Heron Blue?!

I like atmospheric tracks like this, and the instrumentation is very unique for Kozelek. I like it quite a bit, but I've only listened once or twice via the MySpace stream. I'm waiting for my physical copy to show up before I attempt a more substantive review. So far it's all about "Lost Verses" for me, but from my brief listen to the rest of the album, "Heron Blue" would probably come in second or third (it's a toss up between that and "Moorestown"). More to come...

#3 03-27-2008 11:17am

katondepena

YearsFly wrote:

It's strange that this seems to be the song that most people have been rating lowest on April. I think it's amazing and one of the best songs on the album. It hit me right away. My buddy who is a big Kozelek fan wasn't too impressed by it either...so strange...it's such an amazing slow builder!

LOVE IT!

It has a Woven Hand/16 Horsepower feel to it.

#4 03-27-2008 11:33am

Cameron

You know I really disliked it at first, but it's grown on me a bit since then. I don't skip it anymore.

Oh shit.

np: Sun Kil Moon - Moorestown [April / 2008] [04:40m/262kbps/44kHz]

<333

can almost hear rollercoasters see sailboats in the sea
hear noise and screaming
weaving in and out of
happy music box sounds

#5 03-27-2008 11:39am

sangeronimo

Anyone else reminded of The National?

#6 03-27-2008 12:35pm

tricycleboy

sangeronimo wrote:

Because of Heron Blue or the whole album?  While I love the single "Murder Me Rachel", the rest of the album is dissimilar... not bad, just not as energetic and in your face as that one.

Who can pretend there's a beginning without an end?

#7 03-27-2008 12:53pm

YearsFly

Yeah April just seems so subdued. Even the electric stuff, but not in a bad way at all. I'm loving all the backing vocals. Some of the best I've heard on any of Marks recordings.

#8 03-27-2008 12:58pm

beginning's eve
Website

i would have enjoyed it more if it gradually built into something with more diversity (ie: the addition of  additional instruments or another section to the song) but for me, it just felt like 7 and a half minutes of the same thing. and ultimately, thats why i couldnt get into it...

i actually like the vibe of the song, with the low vocals and darker sound, but it just never changed up enough for me to get into it at all.

and the open drapes look out on frozen farmhouse landscapes...

#9 03-27-2008 1:38pm

YearsFly

beginning's eve wrote:

i would have enjoyed it more if it gradually built into something with more diversity (ie: the addition of  additional instruments or another section to the song) but for me, it just felt like 7 and a half minutes of the same thing. and ultimately, thats why i couldnt get into it...

i actually like the vibe of the song, with the low vocals and darker sound, but it just never changed up enough for me to get into it at all.

Funny that's just what my friend said. Listening on headphones might help. The build up is not typical but different things do kick in and build in subtle ways. I think that the build up is so slow that it seems like nothing is changing but the beginning of the song is a lot less layered then the 7 minute mark.

#10 03-27-2008 5:10pm

sangeronimo

tricycleboy wrote:
sangeronimo wrote:

Because of Heron Blue or the whole album?  While I love the single "Murder Me Rachel", the rest of the album is dissimilar... not bad, just not as energetic and in your face as that one.

Yeah, just the song - his singing, the guitar playing, the melody.

While I do like Sad Songs for Dirty Lovers, I must say it pales in comparison to their last two - Alligator and Boxer.

#11 03-27-2008 5:17pm

lament
Site Owner
Website

Heron Blue is my favorite song on the album, just behind what should've been turned into track 2 (the end of "Lost Verses"). smile

#12 03-28-2008 5:04am

coolrockgirl25

I liked Heron Blue upon the first listen of it.

#13 03-28-2008 11:06am

black Attic

His vocal tone sounds like something from What's next to the moon.

#14 03-28-2008 1:43pm

DaveC

not heard on headphones yet but on first listen was bored after a couple of minutes of heron blue. there were other, short tracks on the album i would rather had gone to the 7 minute mark than this. It improves a little towards the end but takes too long in the process.

#15 03-28-2008 11:31pm

beginning's eve
Website

what ever happened to the Heron Blue drum version?!

from what i remember, i enjoyed that version more...

and the open drapes look out on frozen farmhouse landscapes...

Board footer