Sad Reminders

An Unofficial Mark Kozelek Site

You are not logged in.

Announcement

This forum is now READ ONLY. The new forum is here. Read why we have a new forum here.

#1 03-26-2008 10:10pm

noonecode

Lyrics to the song "The Light" plus interpretation

her eyes could have only been born of this ocean,
deaf blue long haired and weepy if you want me so much to want you,
  all wrapped up beside you and remmy after you've taken me,  my minds roamin free out doors and daisy's driftin out this evening,
with a verse so sweetly sung, unto a world a world we've long to come,  somehow we are not one,
  and all her lavender meadows so frail frayed and beautiful,  and as your dining room table the sun falls on my face so warm,
and all the turbulant valleys i've taken to get here, to you in this home, and in this moment for that i am grateful,though this house feels like an old lost song,
that calls for me to play along, somehow i dont belong,  the night lift my mood the day sung,  oohh baby i'm wonderin how come,
  the light is nearly gone,
  her soul could have only been born of a wild oak,  so far reachin and swayin and free but standin  stoically,
  when the skies come upon she  leans over so helpless and cowering,  until the storms calm the seas somehow she's the only one left standin,
  and though we've grown so close my love,  and though these nights we've spent so many of,  a part of me is numb,
  her eyes look up too me so open and true,  her windows in perfect clear view, but somehow i can't see through

this may  sound really  crazy but this song may be about one of his cats, getting old and close to death,   did you know that alot of white cats with pale blue eyes are deaf?   I know it sounds crazy at first but think about it in regards to lyrics.  don't forget he has already wrote wop a din din,  about a cat he had before.  Only lyric that disturbs me about that  logic is  "all wrapped up beside you and remmy, after you've taken me"    lol.      not sure i understand that.

The only other thing i can gather is that he went out with a hot deaf chick with blue eyes,  which  they never saw eye to eye, and after awhile drifted,   which is  interesting on many levels if that was the case,  and he had a cat named remmy,   but this is only speculation of course.   I'm probably  way off  but i thought I would add  that hopefully it added a little humor.

Last edited by noonecode (03-26-2008 10:20pm)

#2 03-27-2008 1:31am

autumneve84

Re: Lyrics to the song "The Light" plus interpretation

I'm not sure but I hear the lyrics as -

Her eyes could have only been born of this ocean
Dove blue, longing and weepy they want me so much to want you
All wrapped up beside you and round me after they've taken me
My mind's roaming free indulging days of drifting out this evening
With a verse so sweetly sung into a world we've longed to come
But somehow we are not one
And all her lavender meadows so fragrant and beautiful
And at your dining room table the sun falls on my face so warm
And all the turbulent highways I've taken to get here to you in this home and this moment for that I'm grateful
Though this house feels like an old love song that calls for me to play along
Somehow I don't belong

I won't keep going but seems like a familiar themed MK song about a human woman perhaps somewhat desperate or in need and while he likes her there the 'neediness' for want of a better word is numbing him out, the end is near (the light is nearly gone) etc.

LOL though you never know, could all be about a cat!  I do tend to think its just about another girlfriend though.

Haha if this was all a joke, apologies for being so literal!

Last edited by autumneve84 (03-27-2008 1:33am)

#3 03-27-2008 1:58am

noonecode

Ha Ha  good call  autumneve84   you are right on almost everything you said  I will leave up my post so others can laugh at what i heard though,    He is def saying dove blue  longing and weepy, 

however I do still contend that he is saying all wrapped up beside you and REMMY (probably the girls cat's name) 

I also contend that he is still saying the line  Though this house feels like an old  LOST  song,  instead of an old LOVE song.     I'd like to see what others hear  by reading these two post. 

I was just thinking  how ridiculous what i was hearing,  lol  what if mark actually read these post sometimes,   he pours his heart out writing this song about a broken relationship.   and some dude thinks he is writing about a threesome with two cats in his bed or a deaf chick   ha ha.      I should ask him with a straight face at a concert if the song is about his deaf cat.  someone should really show him the post he would piss his pants laughing.

Last edited by noonecode (03-27-2008 2:11am)

#4 03-27-2008 9:14am

autumneve84

Ha ha, yeah I almost think it could be more interesting your way.

#5 03-27-2008 12:27pm

Kristi

Too funny . . .while I can't imagine he's actually saying Remmy -- I know a dog with that name, btw -- I can't understand the lyrics myself.  Maybe that eye/hair combo affects people, too, and can be blamed for my hearing difficulties!  I never knew that about cats.  I do so love your interpretation, noonecode.

#6 03-27-2008 2:13pm

beginning's eve
Website

i just spend the past however long tryin to figure this one out...
here's what i came up with, which is pretty similar to whats been mentioned so far, but slightly different:

her eyes could have only been born of this ocean
dove blue, longing and weepy they want me so much to want you
all wrapped up beside you and ? (winded) after you've taken me
my mind's roaming free indulging days drifting out this evening
with a verse so sweetly sung
into a world we've longed to come
but somehow we are not one

and all her lavender meadows so fragrant and beautiful
and at your dining room table the sun falls on my face so warm
and all the turbulent highways I've taken to get here
to you in this home and this moment for that I'm grateful
though this house feels like an old lost song
that calls for me to play along
somehow I don't belong
the night lift my mood the day sung
oh baby I’m wondering how come
the light is nearly gone

her soul could have only been born of a wild oak 
so far reaching and swaying and free but standing stoically alone
when the skies come upon she leans over so helpless and cowering
until the storms come to seas and somehow she's the only one standing
and though we've grown so close my love 
and though these nights we've shared so many of 
a part of me is numb
her eyes look up to me so open and true 
our windows in perfect clear view
but somehow i can't see through

to me, the lyrics seem to be about falling out of love and not feeling that unified connection. they seem to reference feeling incomplete, even in the midst of strength and beauty.

Last edited by beginning's eve (03-27-2008 2:32pm)

and the open drapes look out on frozen farmhouse landscapes...

#7 03-27-2008 2:58pm

noonecode

beginners eve, i think you have the whole thing nailed.      I think  its impossible to figure out  the part where you had winded in the (  )     autum hears   "around me"    and i keep hearing remmy,     they all sort of fit.     

A song that I had been hearing wrong  for almost 15 years  is a song by Mister Mister  called "Kyrie"

In the song he keeps saying  Kyrie Eleison  for the road that i must travel.  in which  Kyrie Eleison is translated to mean "God have Mercy"         

If you know this song and you've heard it like me before you probably know the song as  "Carry a laser"  ha ha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gb0Gak88lDA

you must watch this video after the first one because its appropriate
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gb0Gak88lDA

Last edited by noonecode (03-27-2008 3:12pm)

#8 03-27-2008 3:52pm

beginning's eve
Website

hah, i hear ya!  "carry a laser" i love it!

#9 03-27-2008 5:45pm

gracecathedralpark

noonecode wrote:

Ha Ha  good call  autumneve84   you are right on almost everything you said  I will leave up my post so others can laugh at what i heard though,    He is def saying dove blue  longing and weepy, 

however I do still contend that he is saying all wrapped up beside you and REMMY (probably the girls cat's name) 

I also contend that he is still saying the line  Though this house feels like an old  LOST  song,  instead of an old LOVE song.     I'd like to see what others hear  by reading these two post. 

I was just thinking  how ridiculous what i was hearing,  lol  what if mark actually read these post sometimes,   he pours his heart out writing this song about a broken relationship.   and some dude thinks he is writing about a threesome with two cats in his bed or a deaf chick   ha ha.      I should ask him with a straight face at a concert if the song is about his deaf cat.  someone should really show him the post he would piss his pants laughing.

You
have
got
to
be
kidding...

#10 03-27-2008 6:19pm

autumneve84

LOL noonecode that is awesome - I think I prefer "carry a laser" too!    http://www.kissthisguy.com/6784misheard.htm

#11 03-28-2008 3:15am

neverending math equation

C'mon guys, we have no need to discuss this, we all know "The Light" is about Mark's light saber.

#12 03-28-2008 9:27am

beginning's eve
Website

"carry me' light saber" the pirate version!

#13 03-28-2008 11:01am

noonecode

neverending math equation wrote:

C'mon guys, we have no need to discuss this, we all know "The Light" is about Mark's light saber.

I totally agree  Neverending,     it is quite obvious that Mark is a big star Wars fan  and wrote this song  about the light saber  using it as a metephor of sorts.    haha

#14 03-28-2008 12:19pm

neverending math equation

During the Red House Painters, he did do a side project titled, "Mark Skywalker"

Board footer