Sad Reminders

An Unofficial Mark Kozelek Site

You are not logged in.

Announcement

This forum is now READ ONLY. The new forum is here. Read why we have a new forum here.

#1 10-28-2006 8:50am

lament
Site Owner
Website

"Ghosts of the Great Highway" to be reissued with bonus EP

from Caldo Verde records,

On January 23, 2007, Caldo Verde Records will re-issue Sun Kil Moon's Ghosts of the Great Highway. Originally released on November 3, 1003, the album received superlative reviews, moved quickly to #1 on college radio and has become one of singer-songwriter Mark Kozelek's most loved and best selling album in a 13-album career. Caldo Verde celebrates the success of Ghosts of the Great Highway with a new edition with re-worked packaging.

Also included is a 6-song bonus CD containing two versions of Leonard Bernstein's "Somewhere," alternate versions of "Carry Me Ohio" and "Salvador Sanchez," a radio recording of "Gentle Moon" recorded in Portugal, and the previously unreleased instrumental "The Arrival," which was recorded for the movie "The Girl Next Door." The album will be available for pre-order soon here at caldoverderecords.com

#2 10-28-2006 11:48am

Tube Bar Rich

Re: "Ghosts of the Great Highway" to be reissued with bonus EP

Looks like it's just about the money now then. Time to rip the loyal fan yet again.

dodgy Live albums, Re prints of expensive rare lyric books and now lets force every true fan to buy the same album twice.

What's this all for? profits on caldover not quite meeting share holders expectations.

#3 10-28-2006 6:17pm

bgwahl

You really need to lay off.  We heard your opinions about the live album already and your comments on this new release just follow suit.  Of course you have the right to say whatever you like, but it just sounds foolish to keep spreading such cynical comments.  If you don't share the same opinions of probably most of the people reading this (i.e., that this is a great chance to hear more good music), then don't buy it.  It is dishonest and presumptuous to imply that anyone is "forcing" you to do anything, and your little conspiracy theory is not very amusing.  Just remember Fugazi's timeless advice:  "Never mind what's been selling, it's what you're buying."  And remember that you make a choice every time you spend money, and in so doing support the person you're buying from.  Your comments are completely ridiculous.

"The earth laughs beneath my heavy feet,
  at the blasphemy in my old jangly walk." 
  --Billy Corgan, "Thirty-Three"

#4 10-28-2006 6:32pm

ggdfan25

amen....that dude needs to stop bitching; nobody's making him buy the albums

and as a lover of koz's stuff, i cant wait to hear the 6 song EP.

or the live album for that matter.....its all good! smile

if all TBR wants to do is rip koz, he can leave.

#5 10-28-2006 6:44pm

mshecubusisevil

I totally hear what you're saying bgwahl, and you're right that the power belongs to the buyer, and Koz isn't like coercing us into buying his shit.  But at the same time, I think everything Tube Bar Rich is saying is true.  But can we hold it against Mark to attempt to have an income?  I don't.  And I won't complain about these releases until I stop being excited about every b side or unreleased track that he offers.  But I mean it clearly is him trying to get some new money from his old fans, and I don't think you can pretend that it isn't the case or dismiss that perspective as being cynical.  And it bothers me y'all would attack TBR so intensely and tell him to stop coming around, he's clearly a fan also, that's why he's here.  Me, I'm pleased to hear some new tracks, and happy that even though Mark isn't recording any new material in the forseeable future that we're getting some things to tide us over, but I can absolutely understand why someone might be disappointed in the direction things seem to be going.

Last edited by mshecubusisevil (10-28-2006 6:44pm)

#6 10-28-2006 6:50pm

flytox

God, this topic is existing for about one day and there is such an argument already...

I agree with everybody here. We are the stupid cash cows. Everybody who is bothered about that: do not buy the record. Everybody else: your opinion is welcome. No cynism please...and no more whining about the quality...

God...what am I writing? Just coming home...drunk like 100 russians...

#7 10-28-2006 6:54pm

flytox

This discussion does not exist...take an exit!

#8 10-28-2006 6:55pm

flytox

I hear voices insinuating...

#9 10-28-2006 8:20pm

LettersInKanji
Website

What this means is that Mark has secured the rights to distribute GotGH for himself. He probably acquired said rights at some expense, and while they are probably a good long-term investment for him, it makes a lot of sense to give people an extra incentive to buy it so he can make some of his money back. Seriously, it's not like Mark went into the studio and made a whole album and then piecemealed out the tracks as b-sides. It's all (or almost all, anyway) shit that was recorded for other things and did not, for one reason or another, get released. If he was putting out studio versions of "Unlit Hallway" and "Moorestown" this way, that'd be one thing, but a cover, two alt takes, a radio session live take and a soundtrack instrumental do not exactly a record make, now do they?

#10 10-29-2006 2:48am

idoru

I don't mind, personally. If I want to get a friend to start listening to MK, I might pick this up for them.

But of course I'm not buying the same album again for myself, just to get those extra tracks. Goes without saying. Generally, I think this trick is a bit shady... Typically, it's done by putting one or two new tracks on a greatest hits album to get the fans who already have all the old songs to buy it anyway. It's cheesy, and to me it seems the honest thing to do would be to release the new songs on an EP as well, or at least put them on iTunes. But everyone in the music industry pulls this trick. I would have to start hating all my favourite artists, if this bothered me. smile

#11 10-29-2006 7:50am

Sickboy

I think its funny  that some of you guys get all sensitive when people talk a little shit about their displeasure about mark putting out new stuff. Its like they were insulting your mother or sister. I think some people need to chill out!

#12 10-29-2006 9:44am

billyd
Website

I do agree with Sickboy that some people are taking these comments too seriously, but to me, if you're a true fan, then you would buy the re-release w/o thinking about it. Plus, didn't I read in an interview on here a couple weeks ago that Mark isn't planning on working on a new album or isn't planning to be going into the studio for a while, so maybe he's just trying to make his fans happy and give them a couple things: the live album, the lyric book, and the re-release until he comes back from his break whenever that may be. I'd rather have him do that, then not release anything and completely disappear for three years.

#13 10-29-2006 10:00am

LoganCale

Awesome.  I've wanted The Arrival for a long time.

#14 10-29-2006 11:55am

lament
Site Owner
Website

great discussion, keep it up.  everyone should be free to speak their mind, as long as no one gets nasty. smile

personally, I was about to post thoughts similar to Tube Rich Bar a few days ago (but got sidetracked), but it was more along the lines of being disappointed that the bonus disc isn't complete.  My ideal bonus disc would feature the vinyl-only tracks that we've already bought anyway (well, most of us) and are hard to find, plus a few compilation appearances since. I mean it's nice what they've included, but why not go all out?

so in addition to the new ones:

Somewhere (version 1)
Somewhere (version 2)
The Arrival
Carry Me Ohio (alternate version)
Salvador Sanchez (alternate version)
Gentle Moon (live in Portugal)

it should have included:

Gentle Moon (acoustic) [Sun Kil Moon vinyl]
Duk Koo Kim (live acoustic) [Duk Koo Kim 10"]
Duk Koo Kim (studio acoustic) [Duk Koo Kim 10"]

since these tracks were from that time anyway and are hard to find now.

as a bonus, it would have been nice to have:

Kentucky Woman (alternate version) [Songs from the Brown Hotel vinyl]
New Partner (Will Oldham cover) [I Am a Cold Rock. I Am Dull Grass tribute comp]
Lazy (Low cover) [We Could Live in Hope: A Tribute to Low]

then if they re-release Tiny Cities (as a single disc because the album is so short), they could include:

Exit Does Not Exist (alternate version) [Tiny Cities vinyl]
Trucker's Atlas (acoustic) [Tiny Cities vinyl]
Neverending Math Equation (acoustic) [Tiny Cities vinyl]
Convenient Parking (acoustic) [Tiny Cities vinyl]
Tiny Cities Made of Ashes (acoustic) [Tiny Cities vinyl]
Four Fingered Fisherman (acoustic) [Tiny Cities vinyl]
Dramamine (acoustic) [Tiny Cities vinyl]
Jesus Christ Was an Only Child (acoustic) [Tiny Cities vinyl]

#15 10-29-2006 12:39pm

LettersInKanji
Website

Was my point lost on everyone? Mark is rereleasing it on HIS OWN label. It's not as though Jetset reissued with a couple extra tracks; I doubt that would be a profitable decision on their part. My guess: Jetset was considering taking it out of print and offered Mark the opportunity to buy out the rights to it, and he decided to do so. This cost him/Caldo Verde money, of course, and in order to make some of that money back, people need an incentive to re-buy, because the slow trickle of new sales to people who don't already own it probably wouldn't return the initial investment for some time.

Last edited by LettersInKanji (10-29-2006 12:42pm)

Board footer