Sad Reminders

An Unofficial Mark Kozelek Site

You are not logged in.

Announcement

This forum is now READ ONLY. The new forum is here. Read why we have a new forum here.

#61 11-22-2011 9:46am

Rollercaster

Re: Five Least Favourite RHP Recordings

This is really weird... some of the posts here could be my top 5 favs.

Mine would be .....

-Make like Paper
-long distance
-evil
-between days
-Golden (and most of Old Ramon to be honest)

'Well pardon my birth i just slipped out'

#62 05-23-2012 4:26pm

Trebor

Six years on, my perception of some of my least favourites have changed. I believe I originally omitted covers so, on this occasion, I'll include them.

The following are the ones that make me feel compelled to hit the skip button:

1) New Jersey (band version) - I still don't think it holds a candle to the intimacy of the acoustic version.
2) Silly Love Songs - THE WORSE of the bunch! This was probably the actual song that caused 4AD and RHP to part ways. It wasn't worth it, in the end.
3) Star Spangled Banner - I just didn't get the joke...
4) I Feel The Rain Fall - it has grown on me a lot but the countrified boogie-woogie vibe still grates at times.
5) I can't really think of a fifth one that I'd skip... I'll probably elect Kavita, due to its 'lazy' simplicity but I never skip it when listening to OR.

Long Distance Runaround: I've really learnt to appreciate this one and can now understand that Mark was just having a laugh.

Another Song For A Blue Guitar has a ramshackle charm that greatly appeals to me.

#63 07-19-2012 8:52am

Kulturgam

Void - just too long, and not a fan of his falsetto
Michigan - Very very mediocre version of what's great when it's played live
I feel the rain fall - Just gives me no emotions whatsoever
San Geronimo - I don't know, sounds too juvenile in a bad way
Cruiser - Never liked this song. It goes on the same for many minutes

#64 07-19-2012 11:54am

katondepena

Kulturgam wrote:

I actually like this version, especially in the context of the album. However, the slower, long version that was played live at the time is far superior. I just hope Mark releases the 18-minute version one day. It was supposed to be on the originally planned, 2-CD version of "Old Ramon."

#65 07-19-2012 1:15pm

Kulturgam

katondepena wrote:
Kulturgam wrote:

I actually like this version, especially in the context of the album. However, the slower, long version that was played live at the time is far superior. I just hope Mark releases the 18-minute version one day. It was supposed to be on the originally planned, 2-CD version of "Old Ramon."

Yeah well, it's an alright song, but in comparison to the live one which it's fantastic arrangement, it's dull. That's why I put it on the list. smile

And YES, if he does release that, I will almost forgive him for the tragedy that is Among The Leaves.

#66 07-19-2012 4:35pm

Lightfoot

Kulturgam wrote:

And YES, if he does release that, I will almost forgive him for the tragedy that is Among The Leaves.

Your tragedy, my blessing.

#67 07-19-2012 4:44pm

Kulturgam

Lightfoot wrote:
Kulturgam wrote:

Your tragedy, my blessing.

Ah, such is the art.

#68 08-12-2012 9:02pm

greyhour

This thread is despicable. I only have three comments:

1) The 4AD Red House Painters records are all near perfect, with only Ocean Beach being a touch shy of the greatness of the others. Okay, maybe I can say that "Three Legged Cat" is crap, but at least it seems it was just a throw away b-side.
2) Songs from a Blue Guitar and Old Ramon are not as strong nor anywhere near as consistent, however, the versions of the Old Ramon songs performed on the 2001 tour are incredible. Too bad these were never properly released.
3) If there was a thread for least favourite Make Kozelek or Sun Kil Moon songs, this list would include all of Tiny Cities and Among the Leaves, and several songs from Ghosts of the Great Highway and Admiral Fell Promises. These eras are night and day.

The Red House Painters, at least in the early years, had so much integrity and passion. The modern day Kozelek is so far removed from that now, I can barely listen to his new songs, let alone read his interviews.

#69 08-12-2012 11:37pm

doggie_diner

greyhour wrote:

This thread is despicable. I only have three comments:

1) The 4AD Red House Painters records are all near perfect, with only Ocean Beach being a touch shy of the greatness of the others. Okay, maybe I can say that "Three Legged Cat" is crap, but at least it seems it was just a throw away b-side.
2) Songs from a Blue Guitar and Old Ramon are not as strong nor anywhere near as consistent, however, the versions of the Old Ramon songs performed on the 2001 tour are incredible. Too bad these were never properly released.
3) If there was a thread for least favourite Make Kozelek or Sun Kil Moon songs, this list would include all of Tiny Cities and Among the Leaves, and several songs from Ghosts of the Great Highway and Admiral Fell Promises. These eras are night and day.

The Red House Painters, at least in the early years, had so much integrity and passion. The modern day Kozelek is so far removed from that now, I can barely listen to his new songs, let alone read his interviews.

I can read his interviews, grey-hour. Though with great bitterness and grinding of teeth.

The interviews read like the confession of a loser turned bronze-medalist.

His bread and butter will never suffice when compared to what men of less talent had in their larder.

Some men become what they hate topmost.

Have you ever watched those horrible interviews with Cassius Clay when he rants and hollers about the evil of bikinis?!

I'd compare those to our Mark and his weird and senile harangues in the media,(pronounced meedjah) misplaced arguments fuming at tennis shoes and the bad skin of a weakling fan.

He has become a villain with you internet people recently, I've been observing you.

I still prefer Mark to any other public hero, especially to Cassius Clay who I regard with hatred and pity.

And my skin is beautiful.

''Shoot me like an Irish soldier
Do not hang me like a dog''

Board footer