Sun Kil Moon and Jesu collaborative album announced

edited March 2016 in Sun Kil Moon

http://pitchfork.com/news/59422-sun-kil-moon-and-jesu-working-on-collaborative-album/

"Sun Kil Moon and Jesu are releasing a collaborative album together, according to the latter band's mastermind, Justin K. Broadrick. He announced the news via Twitter this morning, but offered no additional details regarding a title or release date. FACT originally reported the news.

The new LP is the latest product of the long-standing collaborative relationship between Mark Kozelek and the Godflesh frontman. Jesu's 2009 album Opiate Sun came out through Kozelek's Caldo Verde label (Broadrick later interviewed Kozelek for the Caldo Verde website). In 2013, Kozelek covered Godflesh's song "Like Rats" (listen below), and the following year he referenced the musician by name in his track "The Possum"."

Comments

That's great news, hope its heavy.

Oh man, this is gonna be good.

• Fuck, this is going to an awesome curveball in the Koz disco.

Very excited/curious about this!

I hope the record isn't 80 minutes of them laughing and laughing and laughing and laughing and laughing and laughing and laughing.

@dwah86 said:
    I hope the record isn't 80 minutes of them laughing and laughing and laughing and laughing and laughing and laughing and laughing.

Well played. This sounds like a really cool collaboration.

• JRSJRS

This is going to be immense, particularly if universal themes turns out to be a universal flop!

• Praying for tour.

• Awesome news. There were a few tracks on Jesu's "Opiate Sun" that reminded me Mark's guitar playing from early Red House Painters music. Thought a collaborative between the two would be cool.

• edited April 2015 Posts: 900

@swilletted said:
    Fuck, this is going to an awesome curveball in the Koz disco.

Where is his disco located?Id imagine it has The Smiths How Soon is Now on permanent loop...and Ghostown by The Specials

• @MrHanky said:
    Where is his disco located?Id imagine it has The Smiths How Soon is Now on permanent loop...and Ghostown by The Specials

In the heart of San Francisco, of course! They also have True Detective on loop on all the TV screens.

Is a curveball like a mirrorball...time to stop?...looks at watch..yup

• This makes waaaay more sense than a Kozelek/Godflesh album. And yet, I was somehow looking forward to that possibility...

I am not familiar with Jesu but I am immediately more drawn to this release than I am to Universal Themes

• Jesu are great.

they also covered Idaho!

• This is awesome news! An both of those songs posted are rad!

• The good thing is is that Mark's latest rambling style lyrics won't work with Justin K. Broadrick's music. Jesu lyrics are pretty simple and straightforward. I'm picturing songs similar to Smokey from Old Ramon.

@amalgam9virgo said:
    The good thing is is that Mark's latest rambling style lyrics won't work with Justin K. Broadrick's music.

Don't be too sure...

• edited June 2015 Posts: 44

I'm presuming that Broadrick is going to be writing the music (as LaValle did with Perils), then it's going to be strong instrumentally. One of my major issues with Mark's work post 2010, is that the instrumentation isn't strong enough or fleshed out enough to work with the lyrical/vocal style that Kozelek aims for. For example, the "Godflesh" section in "The Possum" could have been great if the instrumentation was heavier. In absence of that, it feels a bit awkward (though it comes across better live).

If Broadrick writes the music, and Mark puts vocals on it, that would be preferable.

As far the lyrics-vocals go, I think they are basically interconnected. If Kozelek writes in the "mile a minute stream of consciousness" style, the odds of him adopting that "croaky" vocal approach are increased. However if he decides to put more effort into his vocals this time around (I recall Jimmy LaValle saying in one interview that Mark told him "I just want to sing" when they were working on the project), then I think the odds of the lyrics being good increase. With most of the work Mark has done post AFP, he's prioritized being autobiographical and throwing everything he has against the wall, at the expense of the quality of the songs themselves. This approach has worked well for him in attracting new fans, but it's too unfocused and sloppy to win me over. Kozelek isn't a Robert Pollard or Ryan Adams, writing "5 songs on the toilet in the hope that 3 of them will be good" is not what he does well.

But overall, I'm psyched. I didn't expect anything from Universal Themes, but this collaboration could easily be the strongest thing he's released since Perils.. Who knows, if they put enough effort into it who knows, it could even exceed that. At worst, it'll be about as good as the album he did with Desertshore (which I gave a 7/10). I'll be shocked if this record sucks, to be honest.

At the Leeds concert when Mark got Justin onstage he said the album is "gonna blow your fuckin' minds" and that he's written a song about Charlie Sheen. Yeah I'm interested in this.

For such a doggedly single-minded solo artist Koz really seems in his element when collaborating with others.

• Via Justin Broadrick's Twitter...

"@JKBroadrick: NEW RELEASE: Jesu / Sun Kil Moon
    Format: CD/LP/Digital
    Release date: February 19, 2016 - Caldo Verde Records"

http://t.co/LEBJmJDCr7

• Cool. Fingers crossed the title is 'Mark & Justin: Laughing and laughing and laughing'
    :-)

• Maybe this will have the song where he compares himself to John Dillinger

• edited July 2015 Posts: 370

It does. Per sunkilmoon.com
    Good Morning My Love
    Carondelet
    A Song Of Shadows
    Last Night I Rocked The Room Like Elvis And Had Them Laughing Like Richard Pryor
    Fragile
    Father's Day
    Sally
    America's Most Wanted: Mark Kozelek And John Dillinger
    Exodus

Last Night I Rocked the Room Like Elvis And Had Them Laughing Like Richard Pryor.

For fuck's sake Mark.

And Danced Like Chris Farley in the Chippendales Skit

• edited July 2015 Posts: 900

Fathers Day...is Mark thinking about when he might become one or is there a little Mark or Marissa on the way?

Jesu(s) his output doesnt look like it's slowing down any time soon.The spoken word album plus the collaboration with Rachel Goswell and now this will all be appearing soon and if you take Universal Themes was released in June that will be 4 releases in the space of about 9 months..back to my 1st topic? No just a coincidence

With that speed of output eat your heart out Damon All-Bran...sorry Albarn

What about Fragile and Exodus? Are these Sting and Bob Marley covers?