10/11/18 @ Union Chapel, London (Mark Kozelek)

JRSJRS
edited October 11 in Gig Reviews

Sooooo gutted to be missing this one. Hope everyone who goes has a great night. It’s sold out now according the Caldo Verde. Would be great to read some ‘meaty’ reviews and thoughts about any new material played.

Comments

• edited October 12 Posts: 39

Was a great show, it was an acoustic trio setup made up of Ramon on nylon string guitar, Ben on acoustic piano and Mark being Mark (playing nylon string on Daffodils). Mark was in good spirits and had some fun banter throughout.

The setlist is partially from memory, which didn't turn out to be too tricky given there were only about 10 songs (despite not knowing most of them). The strict curfew (and resulting 2hr 30min show) may be the reason for the ahem shorter length.

Night Talks
    Daffodils
    The Black Butterfly
    This is My Town
    666 Post
    1983 MTV Era Music is the Soundtrack of Outcasts Being Bullied by Jocks
    Linda Blair
    The Mark Kozelek Museum
    I'm Not Laughing At You

This Is My Dinner

• JRSJRS

@cobbles said:
    Was a great show, it was an acoustic trio setup made up of Ramon on nylon string guitar, Ben on acoustic piano and Mark being Mark (playing nylon string on Daffodils). Mark was in good spirits and had some fun banter throughout.

The setlist is partially from memory, which didn't turn out to be too tricky given there were only about 10 songs (despite not knowing most of them). The strict curfew (and resulting 2hr 30min show) may be the reason for the ahem shorter length.

Night Talks
    Daffodils
    The Black Butterfly
    This is My Town
    666 Post
    1983 MTV Era Music is the Soundtrack of Outcasts Being Bullied by Jocks
    Linda Blair
    The Mark Kozelek Museum
    I'm Not Laughing At You

This Is My Dinner

Cool thanks for that. Wow nothing played that was more than about 2 years old.

Yeah, funnily enough he said as such at one point in the show then backpedaled on it. He explained that at the Filmore show he told the audience he wouldn't be playing anything from before 2016 and afterwards Caroline, who was in the audience, said that "about 30 people left when you said that"!

• WDSWDS
    edited October 12 Posts: 40

I was there last night - it was great. Sad not to get anything off Benji, but hearing his voice live was astonishing. It's just gorgeous. And Ramon and Ben were incredible too. Some of the newer songs (thinking of 666 Post and Night Talks especially) sounded better than their recorded versions to me.

When he got to the croaking/growling bits on Linda Blair everyone around me was just laughing.

He also tried to get everyone to sing along to the 'diarrhea' bit in Museum and, this being London and full of reserved Brits, it just didn't work out. He took it very well - laughed it off.

He also mentioned that the LP that's out in March consists of all 16 minute long songs except for one that lasts 26 minutes (I think I've remembered that correctly).

As for new material, it's so hard to judge any late-period Koz on one listen, but I really liked the sound of I'm Not Laughing At You and This Is My Dinner - great storytelling and some emotion in both of those. I'm Not Laughing is about what non-US people think of Americans (the person in question turns out to be laughing at the country Mark comes from). I expected 'This is My Dinner' to be a sarcastic reference to Instagram culture but it's actually something a poor Scandinavian girl said to him - she held out a Snickers bar and said 'I'm so poor this is my dinner'. There's a passage in there about him rushing home after getting word that his 16 year old cat was dying that I found unexpectedly extremely moving.

1983 MTV etc and Linda Blair didn't really hit home for me. They seemed less focussed and more directionless. I prefer the stuff that doesn't rely so much on comedy, and has some emotion in the storytelling, but you may well disagree. They were more in the category of that song about how many bikes there are in Amsterdam, which I've listened to precisely twice. Funny and whimsical but kind of like musical stand-up.

• JRSJRS

@WDS said:
    I was there last night - it was great. Sad not to get anything off Benji, but hearing his voice live was astonishing. It's just gorgeous. And Ramon and Ben were incredible too. Some of the newer songs (thinking of 666 Post and Night Talks especially) sounded better than their recorded versions to me.

When he got to the croaking/growling bits on Linda Blair everyone around me was just laughing.

He also tried to get everyone to sing along to the 'diarrhea' bit in Museum and, this being London and full of reserved Brits, it just didn't work out. He took it very well - laughed it off.

He also mentioned that the LP that's out in March consists of all 16 minute long songs except for one that lasts 26 minutes (I think I've remembered that correctly).

As for new material, it's so hard to judge any late-period Koz on one listen, but I really liked the sound of I'm Not Laughing At You and This Is My Dinner - great storytelling and some emotion in both of those. I'm Not Laughing is about what non-US people think of Americans (the person in question turns out to be laughing at the country Mark comes from). I expected 'This is My Dinner' to be a sarcastic reference to Instagram culture but it's actually something a poor Scandinavian girl said to him - she held out a Snickers bar and said 'I'm so poor this is my dinner'. There's a passage in there about him rushing home after getting word that his 16 year old cat was dying that I found unexpectedly extremely moving.

1983 MTV etc and Linda Blair didn't really hit home for me. They seemed less focussed and more directionless. I prefer the stuff that doesn't rely so much on comedy, and has some emotion in the storytelling, but you may well disagree. They were more in the category of that song about how many bikes there are in Amsterdam, which I've listened to precisely twice. Funny and whimsical but kind of like musical stand-up.

Ha ha that’s pretty funny about the attempted diarrhoea sing along. My kids often ask for me to play the diarrhoea song (although I have to censor certain parts that obviously aren’t suitable for young ears). My wife curses the day I brought that song into the house!

• WDSWDS
    edited October 13 Posts: 40

It was funny - when the bit was over he said 'You guys are thinking, 'thank god that's over'.' And we were.

I have been to Union Chapel to see Mark a few times, but tonight the crowd seemed very restless. People sitting front row left and Mark made some comments about this.
    It would have been better to throw in some old favourites, but only 9 new songs in 3 hours.
    I rather see grumpy old Mark than some standup comedian. Still, I enjoyed the guitar, piano and some of the songs.

• WDSWDS

Thanks for posting. Chuckling at what he said about the requests