Giving Up On Mark Kozelek

I think I am officially giving up on Mark Kozelek. I just do not find his music listenable anymore. I hated Universal Themes the minute I heard it. I couldn't get through Yellow Kitchen. The latest Jesu collab, I liked a few of the tracks. Mainly due to Justin's music. His most recent self-titled album, I am not interested in at all. "God Bless Ohio" was the last track he's put out that I really liked, but even that song went on for too long. I've seen Mark perform six times. Two solo, two with Phil, one with full band, and the most recent with Magik Magik. I don't think I'll see him again. To me, his last album as a real singer/songwriter was Benji. Now he's just a rambler. This is like poetry-slam music. He mentions his girlfriend Caroline in like every song. She is the Ivanka Trump of Mark's music. Just an enabler. Can you please tell him that his music sucks now? Everytime I talk about music, and I mention Kozelek, I have to say, "Well, his older stuff." He comes with footnotes now. He's playing in two weeks by where I live and I was gonna buy tickets for me and my girlfriend. And then I was like, why? Does she want to listen to 12 minutes of fucking Daffadils? When we saw him last October in Cambridge with Magik Magik, he started with "Someone the Wonder..." and I turned to my girlfriend and said, "He's starting with this one because he needs to show that he still can actually sing because the rest of the set will just be talking." And I was right. I just don't foresee spending any money on him anymore.

Comments

• I don't get the "he mentions Caroline in every song" thing. Given his overall approach these days (to which one may very well reasonably object), it would be odd if he didn't mention her a lot. If anyone's counting, she's mentioned in three of the eleven songs on the self-titled album.

@amalgam9virgo said:
    Does she want to listen to 12 minutes of fucking Daffadils?

If she doesn't thats mad. the live version is one of the best things i've ever heard imo

Interesting, and I can see where you're coming from. I don't know, I actually really liked Yellow Kitchen and I know I'm in the minority. I know he goes on about Caroline a lot, although rad for him he's met a sweet girl he wants to mention all the fucking time but for me it can get tiresome although weirdly "Caroline" is one of my favourite songs he's ever done. Strange times, Mark is crazy, but crazy enough to keep listening to I think. I can't think anyone else doing anything as interesting as him.

When reading the topic of this thread I thought at first "Giving Up On Mark Kozelek" was a new track. Who knows, might show up on a new album next year ...

• and it's just koz laughingly reading the posts in this thread.

Okay, goodbye.

@moleman said:
    Okay, goodbye.

This made me laugh so much! :smiley:

For me, the period that produced Perils From The Sea - MK & Desertshore - Benji - Universal Themes is my unambiguous favorite of Mark's output.

That's not to say I don't enjoy his RHP and Ghosts - April - Admiral output -- I do, very much. But, for whatever reason the autobiographical records resonate far more with me.

Songs like Gustavo, I Watched the Film..., Tavoris Cloud, Somehow the Wonder of Life Prevails, Gardens of Lavendar are absolutely unmatched.

His more recent stuff, with the exception of his self titled, has been a little more hit and miss. Common As Light, Yellow Kitchen in particular are ones I dont revisit often at all. I do think he has veered a little too far off with his lyrical style, but it hasn't kept me from enjoying songs like Linda Blair on some level.

I honestly think Mark's 1992-2010 discography is the finest in indie rock, bar none.

Everything after that, however, has been spotty. For every Benji or MK Sings Favorites, there's a Universal Themes or Jesu/Sun Kil Moon. Basically what makes Benji soar above all of his albums after that is that his ramblings have a theme to them, a point. Instead of just saying what he did that day. If Mark was willing to put more effort into the songwriting and lyric writing, and at least structure his lyrics to have a coherent flow, then his albums nowadays would be so much better.

By doing that, it would probably cut down on the song lengths as well. I actually liked his s/t album from this year, but it did not need to be a double album. My Love for You is Undying did not need to be thirteen minutes long. Linda Blair did not need to be eleven minutes long. If it ended at like maybe the six minute point, then it could have been one of the best songs he's done since like 2015.

He doesn't have to go back to being a perfectionist, but put at least SOME effort and self-editing in the music, it really would be so much more resonant. Like Benji was.

That being said, I haven't given up on the Koz exactly, but I'm far less inclined to care about what he does now.

@Drop said:
    I honestly think Mark's 1992-2010 discography is the finest in indie rock, bar none.

Totally agree.

• I remember when this board didn't know how to feel about Among the Leaves. Simpler times!

• @Drop nails it - I certainly give far less of a shit for what Koz farts out these days, but can’t completely give up on the guy due to the unfuckwithable quality over the evolving styles of his 92-2010 legacy, and I’ll always be curious about what he does out of hope that he puts some effort into it again someday - that’s not a hankering for a return to an older style, just wishing he would concentrate on quality.

@elusive_pimpernel said:
    @Drop nails it - I certainly give far less of a shit for what Koz farts out these days, but can’t completely give up on the guy due to the unfuckwithable quality over the evolving styles of his 92-2010 legacy, and I’ll always be curious about what he does out of hope that he puts some effort into it again someday - that’s not a hankering for a return to an older style, just wishing he would concentrate on quality.

Touché

• edited September 8 Posts: 70

Mark is the equivalent of a twentysomething getting a job at Starbucks as a barista. After a little bit, he realizes that he has a skill, so he then moves on to more "high-end" cafes. He then feels inspired and goes to Italy to work for authentic cafes and becomes a coffee connoisseur. He then enters barista competitions and does well. He then ends his career working for Dunkin Donuts.

• Starbucks = Down Colorful Hill
    High End Café = Rollercoaster
    Authentic Café - Songs For A Blue Guitar
    Barista Competition = Admiral Fell Promises
    Dunkin Donuts = 2015-Present

• JRSJRS

Ha ha loving the coffee analogy!

@ProfAmaretto said:
    I remember when this board didn't know how to feel about Among the Leaves. Simpler times!

Yes certainly remember those days. A lot of people hated it when it came out, but I actually liked it a lot. That period in my life was also special and it soundtracked it quite well.

I also remember there being some (minor) blowback when Admiral Fell Promises came out as well. I for one liked it, but found the nylon string only guitar a bit monotonous. Imagine that!