*NO JOKE!* New Sun Kil Moon album: This Is My Dinner Caldo Verde Records November 1, 2018.

Sun Kil Moon: This Is My Dinner
Caldo Verde Records. November 1, 2018.

Available at Spotify and iTunes November 1, 2018
FREE download available at sunkilmoon.com November 1, 2018.
LIMITED CDs available November 1, 2018.

This Is My Dinner was written during Sun Kil Moon's November 2017 European tour. The album was recorded November 18, 2017 at TAPF Studio in Copenhagen and December 7, 8, 9, 2017 at Hyde Street Studios in San Francisco.

Music by Tony Scherr, Ben Boye, and Ramon Fermin. Words by Mark Kozelek. The album includes versions of AC/DC's "Rock 'N' Roll Singer," The Partridge Family's "Come On Get Happy," and John Connolly's "Chapter 87 of He" set to music.

Musicians include Tony Scherr, Jim White, Scott McPherson, Ben Boye, Ramon Fermin, Chris Connolly and special guest Jordan Cook.

Track List:
1. This Is Not Possible
2. This Is My Dinner
3. Linda Blair
4. Copenhagen
5. Candles
6. David Cassidy
7. Come On Get Happy
8. Rock 'N' Roll Singer
9. Soap for Joyful Hands
10. Chapter 87 of He

via sunkilmoon.com

You can listen to the cover of The Partridge Family's "Come On Get Happy" via the site:

http://www.sunkilmoon.com/thisismydinner/

Comments

• ANOTHER version of Rock N Roll Singer? :-O

• Yeah, I think he mentioned it before when he announced he would be releasing two albums this year. They recorded it in honor of Malcolm Young who died last year in November.

Here's what he wrote back then:

"The 3 non-original songs on the album include a cover of The Partridge Family's "Come On Get Happy" in honor of the late David Cassidy, a new, amped up cover version of "Rock 'N' Roll Singer" by AC/DC, in honor of the late Malcolm Young (and features Jordan Cook from Reignwolf on guitar), and another track is "Chapter 87" of John Connolly's novel He, set to music."

Haha, love the NO JOKE! warning!

Is the dinner ramen or the pasta that looks like wheels?

Hahahah that album title

• Chili Lemon Penis(formed) pasta - I thought the warning is fairly appropriate. I saw it over on r/indieheads and my first thought was another person did a parody.

I wonder if that cover pic is Buffalo since he was taking pictures of snow for his friend.

• JRSJRS

This is not possible!

• Do you guys get the feeling that Mark is just seeing what he can get away with these days? I know that's not a new take on his recent music - but seriously, anyone who's been into him since RHP days...do you like this stuff? I just can't get into it.

@salvador_sanchez said:
    Do you guys get the feeling that Mark is just seeing what he can get away with these days? I know that's not a new take on his recent music - but seriously, anyone who's been into him since RHP days...do you like this stuff? I just can't get into it.

I think it's a really complicated thing but boiling it down, the answer to your question would be yes, however not in the way you may be thinking. I do genuinely believe he is experimenting but not in a way that feels like he's trying to "get away" with something, more seeing where he can go sonically in general. Part of it may be his sense of humor, part of it may even be him trying to shake off new pitchfork-9.2 fans.

Interesting that he said that this album would be very "November" themed, because his best stuff tends to have a certain idea to go for (admirals classical guitar, rollercoaster and common's (yeah I know but I love common as light) double album/trying for a new sound-ambition, and benji's nostalgia).

Man I haven’t even opened the shrink on the Mark Kozelek CD and now this?

• I'm not into him since the RHP days because I was just born when he started releasing music back then. I started listening to Koz music by going chronologically through all his music starting with the RHP albums. And I must say I enjoy his new approach. It is a fleeting enjoyment, as I tend to disregard most of an album after some time but the initial feeling when listening to an album is generally a positive one. Sometimes, he can still put out brilliant songs which I will listen to for many years to come. That's what keeps me listening to his diarrhea.

The concept here seems to be: "Let's make a studio record while we're on tour!" I just wonder how these versions will sound compared to the rather ad-hoc live versions from last year.

• edited June 27 Posts: 237

Thanks - I really appreciate everyone's perspectives! I had an older brother that knew about RHP when they were still around. I got to see them once in 2001. I've seen Mark and SKM countless times. Ghosts of the Great Highway is one of my favorite records of all time but I'm biased b/c it was released during a very poignant phase of my life. I think I checked out on Mark right after Benji. I totally respect the fact that he wants to pursue this new approach. The most important thing is that he feels fulfilled making the music that he wants to make. He was probably uninspired playing Katy Song and Grace Cathedral Park over and over in the same venues to the same people. Good on him for following his heart. Unfortunately, it just doesn't resonate with me.

This is not possible....says it all!

@salvador_sanchez said:
    Do you guys get the feeling that Mark is just seeing what he can get away with these days? I know that's not a new take on his recent music - but seriously, anyone who's been into him since RHP days...do you like this stuff? I just can't get into it.

I'm one of those weirdos that think the period in which he put out his collabs with Jimmy Lavalle, Desertshore as well as Benji/Universal Themes is his peak ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Stuff like Yellow Kitchen, Common as Light, collab with Ben Boye, Jim White don't resonate with me much tho. His recent self titled was a step in the right direction after those three.

• WDSWDS

I'm confused about this - it says that Mark only wrote the lyrics? Can that be true?

• Yeah, was confused by this, too. But I remember him saying something like Ben Boye wrote the music for This Is Not Possble last November in Berlin. It's just weird that he would put it out under the Sun Kil Moon moniker.

• WDSWDS

Also the fact he's giving it away as a free download makes me think it might actually prove to be a dog's dinner. That cover sounds like some some bar band doing a soundcheck

@WDS said:
    Also the fact he's giving it away as a free download makes me think it might actually prove to be a dog's dinner. That cover sounds like some some bar band doing a soundcheck

He already offered free streaming with all of his recent releases, which effectively turned out to be the same thing as a free download. I think he's just calling it now for what it is.

• Seems like he has enough money already to maintain a house near Tahoe and (given everything he sings is true) a new one in New Orleans. Didn't he also want one in Portugal?^^

I was surprised by free download...but hey that's the world we live in. Few people buy cds or vinyls. There is spotify. Internet is always on western countries.
    Who wants to have a cd while the world is going to streaming services?

@pigmento said:
    I was surprised by free download...but hey that's the world we live in. Few people buy cds or vinyls. There is spotify. Internet is always on western countries.
    Who wants to have a cd while the world is going to streaming services?

"I'm at war with the modern world" (Robert Smith, 2018 interview)

I heard Mark say at a show that he prefers CDs to other formats and still buys them himself.

@DonaldDuckKooKim said:
    Yeah, was confused by this, too. But I remember him saying something like Ben Boye wrote the music for This Is Not Possble last November in Berlin. It's just weird that he would put it out under the Sun Kil Moon moniker.

My prediction is that after the recent release of Mark Kozelek's S/T, every release that's fully written by Mark will now be under the Mark Kozelek name, and from now on every Sun Kil Moon album will be a band effort, which is interesting because this'll be the first time in 10 years since Sun Kil Moon has been a band.

Oh wait, after looking at the tracklist, it looks like it's (the new single) coming after a song called "David Cassidy" which I assume is a darker song dedicated to him. Mark seems to be doing a "Backseat Freestyle" on us.

Also, I feel like when it says music by "Tony Scherr, Ben Boye, and Ramon Fermin" it means just performed by them? I know one of the song's music was written by Boye however it seems like Mark writing the music could still be a possibility.

This new album looks like it's going to be dark and atmospheric, and at the same time seriously bizarre and maybe even disturbing in a way. Lyrical topics from Soap For Joyful Hands and the screaming in Linda Blair seem to suggest something extremely head turning, which, if this is anything near the length of Common, hints at an album I wanted from Kozelek ever since Jesu/SKM came out: a long, expressive and bizarre album where everything is just thrown at a wall in a White Album-esque way. Common As Light seemed similar at first listen but it's actually way more "concise" than a lot of people give it credit for being. This new album seems like a mess, but a mess I really wanna hear, and not at all in a "so bad it's good" way.

@WinterCity said:
    Oh wait, after looking at the tracklist, it looks like it's (the new single) coming after a song called "David Cassidy" which I assume is a darker song dedicated to him. Mark seems to be doing a "Backseat Freestyle" on us.

Yeah, that song was like a dirge when Mark debuted it live and "Come On Get Happy" was essentially the coda. Malcolm Young was also tributed in the song, so that ties in the AC/DC cover.

I think it will be a so bad it's good ;-)