05/13/18 @ Balaclava Fest, Sao Paulo, Brazil (Sun Kil Moon)

edited May 11 in Gig Reviews

Please post your reviews and setlist of the show here.

Comments

• I was there. First time I've seen him live and can't say that I was impressed.

I didn't bother listening closely to anything post-Common because his music became so fucking boring, so I'm not able to give a precise setlist, but there were 3 songs from his last album (he had to read the lyrics that go on mundane details forever), "Linda Blair" (which is awfully embarassing), some Jesu/SKM songs I suppose and "Dogs" and "I Can't Live Without My Mother's Love" (it was Mother's Day). He was well-humoured and the crowd was fond of him (surprisingly), but I didn't spot any fans apart from a guy with a "Ben's My Friend" sign (Mark joked that Ben is not his friend anymore but then said the real issue is that the song doesn't translate well to the stage). The band was tight and I kind of felt bad for the guys for having to play such shitty songs, but I guess they're getting paid so all is well.

I'm not holding my breath for his music anymore. He's just grown lazy and I much rather spend my time listening to Steely Dan (he says in a new song that he loves everything but the only thing he truly hates is Steely Dan's music — which made me laugh hard).

@TowelsForEveryone said:
    I was there. First time I've seen him live and can't say that I was impressed.

I didn't bother listening closely to anything post-Common because his music became so fucking boring, so I'm not able to give a precise setlist, but there were 3 songs from his last album (he had to read the lyrics that go on mundane details forever), "Linda Blair" (which is awfully embarassing), some Jesu/SKM songs I suppose and "Dogs" and "I Can't Live Without My Mother's Love" (it was Mother's Day). He was well-humoured and the crowd was fond of him (surprisingly), but I didn't spot any fans apart from a guy with a "Ben's My Friend" sign (Mark joked that Ben is not his friend anymore but then said the real issue is that the song doesn't translate well to the stage). The band was tight and I kind of felt bad for the guys for having to play such shitty songs, but I guess they're getting paid so all is well.

I'm not holding my breath for his music anymore. He's just grown lazy and I much rather spend my time listening to Steely Dan (he says in a new song that he loves everything but the only thing he truly hates is Steely Dan's music — which made me laugh hard).

Okay thanks for the information
    So any thoughts that if,and it's still an if,he deigns to come back to Dublin/Ireland it'a unlikely that it will be any improvement on his disasterous (my opinion not everyone agreed I concede) appearance in Vicar Street last year

• I have read reviews about the Vicar Street show and felt the same about the São Paulo concert. Musically, I wouldn't bother. Mark screams far too much these days, barely touches the guitar and overall the songwriting is unimpressive to me.

Thanks for this review. Sounds like an awful night though! Oh well, lets hope he at least had a fun time in Sao Paulo...

• there are some photos up on markkozelek.com which might be from this show...

Given it's the only Benji track never heard live, I'd have loved to hear Magik*Magik have a go at that one, with those amazing fiddles playing the sax part!

@TowelsForEveryone said:
    I was there. First time I've seen him live and can't say that I was impressed.

vc é brasileiro(a)?