Mark Kozelek with Donny McCaslin and Jim White (featuring Kevin Corrigan) "Day In America”

Another new collaboration... due out in 2019. Free download available of “Day In America” available now on sunkil moon.com.

Mark Kozelek is at work on a new collaboration featuring Donny McCaslin, Grammy nominated saxophonist who played on David Bowie's Blackstar album, and Jim White (The Dirty Three, Xylouris/White). The album will be released in 2019. This will be Mark's 3rd full length album with Jim White, including Mark Kozelek with Ben Boye and Jim White released in 2017, and a new Sun Kil Moon album to be released in November of this year. "Day In America," the first single to be released from Mark Kozelek with Donny McCaslin and Jim White was recorded February 14th and 15th of this year. The album title, release date and track listing will be available later in the year. Mark's new self-titled album will be released May 11, 2018.

Comments

• So this song's about the Parkland shooting, which is to say it was written and recorded in the past two days or so.

• Holy cow, how can anyone keep up with all this? Does anybody want to?

A "single" that's 15 minutes long. LOL.

The 3 above comments I think are pretty sad. Have you given it a proper listen? It's incredibly moving and beautiful, especially the first 5 minutes. Brought me to tears.

@moleman said:
    The 3 above comments I think are pretty sad. Have you given it a proper listen? It's incredibly moving and beautiful, especially the first 5 minutes. Brought me to tears.

Hey moleman, I was only referring to the term "single", not to the song itself. Have yet to give it a proper listen. Actually, I'm a big fan of Mark's recent output, plus I guess the irony of using "single" here might well be intended.

@bromberg71 said:

@moleman said:

Hey moleman, I was only referring to the term "single", not to the song itself. Have yet to give it a proper listen. Actually, I'm a big fan of Mark's recent output, plus I guess the irony of using "single" here might well be intended.

I was just referring generally to there being only 3 comments and none of them addressing the beauty of the song. Nothing wrong your remark generally. You'll enjoy this single either way.

These shootings are becoming so frequent that people are getting numb to them. Kudos to Mark for continuing to respond. And to Anthony Rizzo for leaving spring training to support his community. What is the answer? Better mental health treatment? Gun control? There must be an answer as we went many years without these mass shootings. This does not have to be the new normal.

• I don’t understand what is so complex about changing gun laws. In the UK, I would imagine it is damn hard to acquire a firearms licence and then buy weapons, and rightly so. In the USA it seems so easy in comparison.

What sickens me is that we see these mass shootings time and time again yet nobody in power will stand up and say “Right, from this day forward nobody can own a gun.”

Can anyone explain what is so difficult about it? It seems that Trump & those in power are happy for people to continue acquiring guns, and see the odd school shooting by a disturbed maniac as a small price to pay for the freedom to own a gun.

I have lost count of the number of articles I’ve read about teenagers being taken to shooting ranges by a parent. Is this considered a normal, healthy thing to do in some countries?

How many times must we have mass shootings and toddlers shooting dead a young sibling with a gun they found under their parents bed, before action is taken?

What is the American obsession with guns all about? In so many of these instances you have people with multiple firearms. How on earth have these people been able to acquire so many guns? I’m not America bashing so please don’t misunderstand me, a shooting can happen anywhere, but the sheer number of instances of these in the States is getting beyond belief. How is it so easy to get hold of a gun in the States and why will nobody stop people from acquiring them?

I think because the biggest gun rights group is a major campaign contributor, they pretty much own Congress. They either donate money to the victor or threaten to donate money to a competitor. In certain parts of the country hunting is a big deal as well. A lot of big cities had gun bans but the conservative Supreme Court did away with those. So if we are going to have guns readily available I guess mental health treatment is the main route. The shooter from this week obviously had mental problems that were not treated. And of course if he had a knife rather than a gun the casualties would have been much lower.

• The problem is that millions of people (myself included) already have guns- I have a shotgun for trap shooting. The ones that turn in guns if you make it illegal will be law abiding citizens and those who do not turn theirs in will be the people you don't want to have a gun.

In my opinion, this could lead to a massive increase in crime here because criminals would KNOW that they have an advantage during a home invasion, etc.

We should ban all semi-automatic/automatic guns but I don't know if its feasible to confiscate guns with an all out ban given that there are so many in the country already.

I hope Mark starts singing again at some point.

• edited February 20 Posts: 386

Kudos to Mark for responding?!
    I still can't understand why anyone would put in that section about going "Django Unchained" on the shooter and torturing him and so on. I get it that Mark's all about recording his most direct emotions now but that is just cringe-worthy. Just like that Michael Jackson song.

I don't think human beings should be killed or have anything done to them by other human beings. And I don't think it should be put into songs. That said, the music is nice...but he ruined it with torturing.

@DonaldDuckKooKim said:
    Kudos to Mark for responding?!
    I still can't understand why anyone would put in that section about going "Django Unchained" on the shooter and torturing him and so on. I get it that Mark's all about recording his most direct emotions now but that is just cringe-worthy. Just like that Michael Jackson song.

I don't think human beings should be killed or have anything done to them by other human beings. And I don't think it should be put into songs. That said, the music is nice...but he ruined it with torturing.

I don't think I could disagree more. Songs aren't not for politics, and even moreso not for just liberal politics. If his viewpoint on torture is conservative, and you disagree, so be it.

I meant kudos for condemning mass shootings in general. I don’t take his revenge fantasy literally. How many Americans would have wanted to torture Bin Laden versus how many would actually do it?

• edited February 20 Posts: 386

I know he doesn't mean it literally. For me, it just has no place in a song that condemns violence in one way. To then go on raging in a violent fantasy... It ruins the song for me.

And disagreeing with torture should be a universal standpoint, in my opinion. It should have nothing to do with being liberal.

• edited February 20 Posts: 15

Not a huge fan of the song, but I don't fault Mark for that part. He's expressed eye-for-an-eye values before, so not really surprising. No compassion for kid killers myself.

@arudnick said:
    Not a huge fan of the song, but I don't fault Mark for that part. He's expressed eye-for-an-eye values before, so not really surprising. No compassion for kid killers myself.

Absolutely. I actually think, and perhaps this is a totally irrelevant point, but I think Mark has been more consistent on values than almost any other musician in his bracket. The eye for an eye stuff has been around for decades, why would he change his mind now.
    I don't disagree with torture for people who shoot kids. Wouldn't do it myself. Is that honestly a universally condemned position? I don't think it is.

• Torture?! What age are we living in?