Two New Mark Kozelek/Sun Kil Moon songs "This Is My Town" and "My Love For You Is Undying"

http://sunkilmoon.com/
http://www.sunkilmoon.com/mk2018/track4.html
http://www.sunkilmoon.com/mk2018/track1.html

Listened to "This Is My Town" and halfway through "My Love For You Is Undying" and spoiler: they are both beautiful,

Comments

So the new SKM record is called "Mark Kozelek"? That's sublime.

I would love to go to Mark Kozelek Museum haha.

• edited February 1 Posts: 397

Very interesting. Is it a Sun Kil Moon album then or is it "Mark Kozelek - Mark Kozelek"?

Track list:
    1. This Is My Town (listen now)
    2. Live In Chicago
    3. The Mark Kozelek Museum
    4. My Love For You Is Undying (listen now)
    5. Weed Whacker
    6. Sublime
    7. Good Nostalgia
    8. 666 Post
    9. The Banjo Song
    10. Young Riddick Bowe
    11. I Cried During Wall Street

It looks like it is a guitar - voice based album, with little help of Steve Shelley on just one track

@pigmento said:

It looks like it is a guitar - voice based album, with little help of Steve Shelley on just one track

I guess it's the one that was announced in his holidays greetings : "One of the albums was recorded in hotel rooms in San Francisco throughout the year, with mobile gear, mostly recorded on a 1960 Fender Jazzmaster guitar. The album was recorded at hotels to take a break from the dark, windowless atmosphere of studios, and to see how atypical recording environments would affect my music. "

My Love for You Is Undying was played live during the recent tour and was a high point in the show I saw, imo.

• JRSJRS

If we ask nicely @lament might do the decoding thing where we are able to download the mp3 files of these 2 songs??!!

These two songs alone clock in at about 20 minutes. Given Mark's new penchant for long songs and a tracklist of 11 titles - looks like we're in for another double album ...

• These songs are my favorite side of Mark. Soft Mark. Hype for this record is now off the charts.

• JRSJRS
    edited February 1 Posts: 536

Ahem http://www.sunkilmoon.com/mk2018/tunes/
    For those on a mobile device or those who want to save a copy :smiley:

• immediately my favorite thing he's done since Benji, his guitar sounds so beautiful

• Despite some promising guitar, I couldnt make it much past a minute for each, so tired of hearing tossed off excruciating mundanity and poor vocals. I can’t find the goodness in it. He’s capable of so much more than this!!! There’s always next time yadayadayada

• That said, after another crack at My Love For You.. i’ll give it this - this song is a much better effort than most of his post 2012 output, sounds like he worked at it a bit. Yay!

• https://www.stereogum.com/1981230/mark-kozelek-this-is-my-town-my-love-for-you-is-undying/music/

reads like we can be expecting a rather negative review by stereogum...

My Love was a highlight for me during the concert but I'm still not sure about this recorded version. Although the guitar parts are very nice.

• I loved God Bless Ohio, and then was so disappointed with how awful Common was that I promised myself that I would never look forward to another release from Mark. But holy shitttttt I love these songs. So honest and raw and the guitar is just amazing. Hard to not be excited. Wont be preording because of how bad I got burned with Common but yeah I'm optimistic

Not a fan. Same old story from the past few years of too many words with nothing really interesting going on. 8 minute songs of stream of consciousness lyrics just don't do it for me.

This is now the second Panera product placement in a song.

• JRSJRS

@KozFan said:

No wonder his belly has gotten so doughy!

I did enjoy Eastbound and Down but I’m surprised he did as the humor is lowbrow.

I could tell from the description he released some time back I'd love this album. These 2 previews make me certain. But I think Common is genuinely one of the best albums ever made, so don't listen to me.

He has actually lost a lot of weight. Think of the 2016 European tour to the 2017, his exercise regime and low carb diet is paying off.

And of course these songs are excellent. I am really looking forward to seeing the Mark Kozelek solo show in October. My Love For You Is Undying was a real high point from the last tour, paced out nice and slow. The 12 minute studio version feels fast paced by comparison because there are no pauses in the song. Of all the Koz recent releases, Common As Light will become known as a classic, though 30 Seconds and With Ben and Jim are both equally excellent. The only release that didn't fully click with me was Yellow Kitchen, but it is necessary listening, if only to learn the results of the colonoscopy.

Mark talks about creating 'soap operas' on his flip phone to distract himself in one of his songs. It's a good choice of words as the new style of writing is an ongoing story where albums intertwine and stories continue, so they are all essential listening to me as I don't want to miss an episode.

@KozFan said:

How about Molinari's? I've eaten the Joe Special, it's good with sundried tomatoes, bell peppers and mozzarella. Excellent Italian deli overall.

That first one's pretty rad. The second one is dull, but I can imagine it really growing on me in a few months time.

I hope this album has a song about "him leaving a Norwegian venue with a blonde woman and having to flee her house when her boyfriend started banging on the door" that sounds a bit more fun than yet another song about him walking aimlessly around Chinatown....

Going to the record store next week to pick up Common....

@crayon said:
    That first one's pretty rad. The second one is dull, but I can imagine it really growing on me in a few months time.

I hope this album has a song about "him leaving a Norwegian venue with a blonde woman and having to flee her house when her boyfriend started banging on the door" that sounds a bit more fun than yet another song about him walking aimlessly around Chinatown....

Going to the record store next week to pick up Common....

Wasn't the one about the boyfriend banging on the door "Soap For Joyful Hands"? Or maybe I'm getting mixed up.

These songs are great. Elegiac, poetic, and based around the guitar. I think that "My Love for You" sounds much better here than it did live in Boston, where it felt plodding.

What's interesting to me about Koz is that I kind of assume that if I played either of these for many non-fan, they would think, "who is this guy, he can't sing very well -- lots of cracked notes -- and his songs have no hooks. Just rambling and somewhat pedestrian stories."

But for at least some of his fans (and obviously reasonable minds differ on these cuts), this is great stuff, and represents more strong work of one of the notable artists of our time.

I like Undying but the effect is lessened by the silly story at the end about being dissed in the store.

These songs resonate with me in such a strong way it's hard to put into words. I think this album will be the first release of original material he's put out solely under his own name other than the live albums (not including the Rock n Roll Singer EP, four covers against three originals, and the two instrumentals on the Finally LP). I totally agree with @victor , the only difference being that I'd put the Ben Boye/Jim White release slightly above Common As Light in the stone-cold classic category.

• edited February 5 Posts: 151

@g0019 said:

@crayon said:

Wasn't the one about the boyfriend banging on the door "Soap For Joyful Hands"? Or maybe I'm getting mixed up.

Oh, I guess I missed that. I think I turned that one off when he started snging....I mean talking....about Caroline and her family having Turkey for thanksgiving.

• On first listen, My Love For You Is Undying reminds me of 1990s/2000s Lou Reed.

I second that. This song and especially Mark's vocal delivery totally have a Lou Reed vibe.

@Noise_Annoys said:
    On first listen, My Love For You Is Undying reminds me of 1990s/2000s Lou Reed.