365 Days of Mark Kozelek

edited September 2016 in Mark Kozelek

Hi guys,

Thought this could be fun. I started working on a 365 Days of Mark Kozelek spreadsheet, mapping each day of the year to something Kozelek related. That way I can tweet out or post on Facebook something each day. Trying to finish it so I can start January 1.

For example,

August 4, 2009 - Richard Collopy dies [from "Song for Richard Collopy"]
April 1, 2008: Sun Kil Moon "April" released

Stuff like that. There could be multiple things on one day, but ideally when I get to every day having something related I'd start (or January 1, whichever comes first). :)

Would you guys be interested in contributing? If so, start posting!

Comments

Like 24th January 2017 Mark hits a half a century on this old piece of dirt we call Earth

• JRSJRS
    edited September 2016 Posts: 553

Release dates
    One from 'Ceiling Gazing' - It’s 3:47 am, June 13th
    It’s my sister’s birthday today, I think
    I wanna give her a call, see how she’s doing
    She had a rough divorce, I hope she’s improvimg...

Marks acting forays (or music features) in the following films;

Sep 13 2000 - Almost Famous released.

Dec 14 2001 - Vanilla Sky released.

October 21, 2005 - Shopgirl released.

Dec 4 2015 (USA) - Youth released.

• edited September 2016 Posts: 1,063

@jrs exactly.

I was listening to Little Rascals and he talks about February 1 12 years ago (Katy) died. 12 years from 2013 or 2014?

Also have things like May 2, 2015 in "This Is My First Day.." where Mark spends $17K on the Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Manny Pacquiao fight. :)

I think a lot of these dates will have to be filled in by tour dates, honestly. But any little nuggets from songs will help.. like September 11 will have Gentle Moon as it's written about that day, etc.

July 20, 1963 - Sung-Kil Moon is born :smiley:

• @lament said:
    jrs exactly.

I was listening to Little Rascals and he talks about February 1 12 years ago (Katy) died. 12 years from 2013 or 2014?

He says "This February will be the 10 year anniversary" in Somehow the Wonder of Life Always Prevails, which would have been recorded in 2012, so I imagine it was 1st Feb 2003

On June 7, 2013, Richard Ramirez died of natural causes.

@KozFan said:
    On June 7, 2013, Richard Ramirez died of natural causes.

YES!

A lot of these are going to be "this person died".. like Carissa. :)

@JRS said:

Dec 14 2001 - Vanilla Sky released.

Also "Pray for Newtown" in 2012. :(

• edited September 2016 Posts: 1,177

Depending on how far you want to pursue the death angle, there is Gandolfini, Ali, Exodus, Nick Cave's son, Bon Scott etc. And the dates of Newtown and other mass shootings. And the show that started the feud with WOD and the Death Cab show that My Friend Ben was about. Premiere dates for True Detective Season One and The Jinx.

This is a fun idea. Would be great if you could put the spreadsheet up as a (read-only) Google doc or something.

• JRSJRS

@Bard said:
    This is a fun idea. Would be great if you could put the spreadsheet up as a (read-only) Google doc or something.

Second that, it would be great to see the finished article.

Yup I'll share when I'm done.

Still taking suggestions, though!

Release dates of albums mentioned in songs (Dreamboat Annie, Animals, the one by Edgar Winter) or containing songs covered by Mark.

• edited September 2016 Posts: 39

Nov 10, 2001

Kozelek was in attendance at the Pacquiao x Sanchez fight

November 13, 1982. Ray Mancini Duk Koo Kim

August 3rd. Ben's my friend, blue crab cakes etc.