Smokey lyrics

Hi. Does anyone want to discuss the lyrics to Smokey? It's one of my favorite songs by Mark Kozelek. The first verse has left me perplexed the last 6 years or so, haha. Just wanted to know others interpretations.

Comments

Interestingly, until I looked up the lyrics, I thought the second line was "I'm staying up, waiting for the night before", which I really liked and was kinda annoyed when I found out that's not it.
    I don't feel like I really understand what Mark meant with the lyrics (especially as some lines I really don't know what they're about), but I absolutely love them, easily one of his best songs for me lyrically. I was hooked from the first line.

I love the song and the lyrics. As a non-native speaker it´s even harder for me get behind the meaning of some lines, but afterall it doesn´t matter. The lyrics are simply beautiful. It´s about loss, as so many times with Mark.

I don´t understand everything in my favorite song LOST VERSES either, but the magic they lyrics raise are made for great dreams and thoughts of my own. SMOKEY does the same, too.

definitely magical and somewhat abstract. a far cry from our hero's current state. just enough meat and detail to evoke.... and then.... poof - gone.

i love this one too. Klassic Koz mixture of the Sacred & Profane.

Mortality, Longing, and a "smothered face, gripping on my waist" ---> what do you think is up with that?

Love Smokey. I've only recently realised that River on Old Ramon is another song about his cat!