Mark Kozelek & Jimmy LaValle: Perils From The Sea

Comments

• edited April 2013 Posts: 39

Thanks, I will definitely check those out. Again, great job on this album!

TheAlbumLeaf said:
    Yes.. Mark wanted to change it to clear up any confusion. He says he sells more under Mark Kozelek than SKM.

That's funny as he said this regarding Admiral Fell Promises:

Q: OK, let’s get a few out of way so you can stop answering these questions. By issuing an album as ‘Sun Kil Moon,’ what does that represent?

A: Honestly, more sales. I'll sell 1/3 or 1/4 the amount if I call it 'Mark Kozelek.' There's momentum with the ‘Sun Kil Moon’ moniker that my own name doesn't have.

I always like to think Mark can't ever make up his mind which is better. thus the constant switching back and forth

I'm currently listening to the Pitchfork stream and the album sounds great ! Very refreshing, and I really mean it : I haven't bought any of MK's albums since Admiral Fell Promises (and that after years of complete fanboyish fidelity) because I didn't find his latest output up to snuff. But this one I'll buy when it comes out on vinyl !

• edited April 2013 Posts: 62

My copy has arrived here in TN. oh and I got the free Mao CD. so I guess with 2 copies now, that'll be getting sold at some point when it goes out of print

TheAlbumLeaf said:

I'd say start with "a chorus of storytellers" and work your way back.. although, it seems "in a safe place" is most peoples favorite.. I recorded it in Iceland and the Sigur Ros dudes played on it. i'm also proud of my last EP, "forward/return" because I recorded it all at home and i think it sounds different than my other records..

Oh cool. I'm curious how you ended up in Iceland. I live there and know the Sigur Ros peeps. Did you record at the Sigur Ros studio or Greenhouse studios? Both are great places run by good people.

• Key tracks to me so far are: Gustavo, Ceiling Gazing, By The Time That I Awoke (really dig the chorus) and Somehow The Wonder of Life Prevails. Also, You Missed My Heart. I've been in love with the lyrics to You Missed My Heart since the first time I heard them.

@amalgam9virgo
    almost exactly the same here

• @TheAlbumLeaf Like everyone else has said, we're all really stoked that you're here interacting with the 'other half' of this album's fanbase. Doesn't get much more refreshing & down-to-earth than this, and I definitely appreciate it.

I'm glad you asked Koz to try mixing up his vocal performance a bit -- can't imagine what it would have sounded like otherwise! I've been pretty disenchanted with his croaky, truncated, monotone delivery on recent albums, especially when intermingled with higher background vocals that begin to stretch his vocal capabilities. Not sure whether his voice has just changed with age or it's deliberate on Mark's part, but at least this album sounds markedly different musically, which is quite refreshing.

Anyhow, hope the album sells well! Maybe Mark will come around and realize how much people want to see BOTH of you perform together... but uh, yeah, I won't get my hopes up.

BTW, have you and Owen Ashworth (aka Casiotone for the Painfully Alone) ever worked together on anything? I feel like your similar approaches might enable you two to collaborate in ways you and Mark might not have been able to. I would totally buy that album.

zeejaydee said:
    @lament at least tell me you have sadwhiners.com redirecting to Sad Reminders :) ?

I did for a year. :)

@mcnish IMO start with ...In A Safe Place....its probably his most solid album and production is amazing...may be his most accessible (not that, thats always good, but a good place to start)...

• edited April 2013 Posts: 689

Really enjoying this album, it's surpassed my expectations. I'm even enjoying the rather jaunty YMMH. Well done Mark & Jimmy! Also kudos to you Jimmy for all your input to the thread.

I was never a big fan of The Album Leaf to be honest and Marks latest release ATL was only so-so as well imo so I went in with low expectations but this turned out to be much better than I anticipated. Marks voice really gels well with the electronic backdroppings once you've taken some time getting used to it, after all: this is something completely different than anything else he did before. The last song is probably my favorite: one of those rare this-doesn't-feel-like-11-minutes-at-all kind of songs. Also a pretty big fan of Caroline, Gustavo and Baby in Death...

Reading TheAlbumLeafs comments the last few pages I get the feeling Mark Kozelek can't really be bothered by this side-project anymore and just wants to continue playing the nylon string guitar. Well... it's only one side of the story of course but can't say I'm surprised to read Mark Kozelek turned out to be hard to work with. It's a shame, cause this is a pretty great record that deserves much better than be an also-ran in his repertoire. Kudos for this album and your presence in this thread, Jimmy!

Have listened to the album from start to finish 3 times and I absolutely love it. I'm a huge Album Leaf fan - someone (sorry for not remembering who) mentioned that they play 'Torey's Distraction' for their little one; so do I. We have a 6 month old and it's perfect. I was going to fly over to London for the Album Leaf & Mark Kozelek gig but as we all know that's not going to happen which is a huge shame. I'd really love to see this album played live (and also particularly love the chance to see Album Leaf live - not easy when you live in Ireland). It's been particularly enjoyable and enlightening reading Jimmy's responses; I really appreciate your interaction. Can't wait to get the physical copy - I hope it comes out on vinyl. (A chorus of Storytellers has a beautiful Leaf etched into side D)

• eggs said:
    Oh cool. I'm curious how you ended up in Iceland. I live there and know the Sigur Ros peeps. Did you record at the Sigur Ros studio or Greenhouse studios? Both are great places run by good people.

We've been friends for over 10 years now. They asked me to open for their US tour back in 2001.. I've opened 3 tours for them since. on their european tour in 2003, i opened for them solo and they started to back me. During that tour, they said i should record at their studio. So thats when i did "in a safe place". I've since mixed my last 3 records at their studio with Biggi.

ZoomBackCamera said:
    BTW, have you and Owen Ashworth (aka Casiotone for the Painfully Alone) ever worked together on anything? I feel like your similar approaches might enable you two to collaborate in ways you and Mark might not have been able to. I would totally buy that album.

I've also known owen since around '97.. We've done a fair amount of shows together with him throughout the years.. We've never worked on anything together, but that would definitely be fun..

sdnelso said:
    @mcnish IMO start with ...In A Safe Place....its probably his most solid album and production is amazing...may be his most accessible (not that, thats always good, but a good place to start)...

Thanks!

Metatron said:
    Reading TheAlbumLeafs comments the last few pages I get the feeling Mark Kozelek can't really be bothered by this side-project anymore and just wants to continue playing the nylon string guitar. Well... it's only one side of the story of course but can't say I'm surprised to read Mark Kozelek turned out to be hard to work with. It's a shame, cause this is a pretty great record that deserves much better than be an also-ran in his repertoire. Kudos for this album and your presence in this thread, Jimmy!

We're both "captains of our own ships" you could say. I'd love to perform the record.

irishferg said:
    I was going to fly over to London for the Album Leaf & Mark Kozelek gig but as we all know that's not going to happen which is a huge shame.

I was also really looking forward to playing the show. We'll make it over there soon enough.. I've been working on a new record and a new record of collabs..

I would love to have just the instrumentals for this album! I love - by the time that I awoke... Maybe my favorite sounds by album leaf yet!

I think right now my fav tracks are the last 2.... If in an upbeat mood, you missed and 1936

An exclusive release - instrumentals - just for us fine folks at sad reminders lol

• edited April 2013 Posts: 57

ahah ! fantastic !!

btw, thank you jimmy for your contribution here. it's very nice as many have already said it before. we met in basel, switzerland a few years ago. 2004, i think. you opened with TAL for robin proper-sheppard and his SOPHIA collective. we talked a bit backstage about you both coming from san diego, the home of some dudes i've been listening to since the nineties, especially thinking of rob crow and his HEAVY VEGETABLE.

anyway, what strikes me a lot is how this collaboration doesn't sound like a really friendly one, considering the fact that 1) you don't promote it together with some live shows, 2) mark didn't say anything about his live performances ("hey jimmy, don't you mind if i play a few of these songs on my own ?" would have been the least, i guess) well, it's like there some physical and psychological distances between you both. a bit sad, i guess.

otherwise, i must add to my early comment on your album that i'm really fond of "gustavo" now and still think that "caroline" is my favourite song on the record. really love the vibe. it'd be a great single !!!

that's it !

=f=

• edited April 2013 Posts: 41

TheAlbumLeaf said:
    We're both "captains of our own ships" you could say. I'd love to perform the record.

Thing is, I think Mark Kozelek might just be digging his own grave in the long run with this attitude cause (as you might've noticed even on this board of "hardcore"-ish fans) I don't think a lot of people are waiting for Mark to play just solo nylon string shows the next 10 years or so. Unfortunatly, that seems to be exactly the kind of thing he wants to do now. I mean, I really loved his Admiral Fel Promises so I'm absolutely not adverse to those kind of shows but this is a refreshing change of pace and it could be kind of in his own interest as well to tour it imo, especially since the material on this album is really strong. I can only speak for myself but personally I was contemplating to cross the belgian-dutch border to see you 2 play in Dordrecht but now it's just Mark solo again I honestly can't be bothered anymore. Anyway, I hope it'll all somehow work out and there will be a tour after all!
    In the meantime I'm just going to have to enjoy this record. :)

• JRSJRS

I'm so glad that this collaboration actually happened and that I have been introduced to The Album Leaf through it.

I did a long road trip last December and the only 2 CDs I had in the car were into the blue and in a safe place. The scenery was spectacular driving though the cairngorm mountains and the music fitted perfectly.

Thanks Jimmy!

• I want to point out that this record sounds really great in headphones.

An instrumental version of this album is a brilliant idea.

• sdnelso said:
    I would love to have just the instrumentals for this album!

Its a possibile!

the_view_electrical said:
    btw, thank you jimmy for your contribution here. it's very nice as many have already said it before. we met in basel, switzerland a few years ago. 2004, i think. you opened with TAL for robin proper-sheppard and his SOPHIA collective. we talked a bit backstage about you both coming from san diego, the home of some dudes i've been listening to since the nineties, especially thinking of rob crow and his HEAVY VEGETABLE.

I vaguely remember that! I apologize for that. Was almost 10 years ago!

anyway, what strikes me a lot is how this collaboration doesn't sound like a really friendly one, considering the fact that 1) you don't promote it together with some live shows, 2) mark didn't say anything about his live performances ("hey jimmy, don't you mind if i play a few of these songs on my own ?" would have been the least, i guess) well, it's like there some physical and psychological distances between you both. a bit sad, i guess.

Don't get me wrong, this collaboration was great and me having the chance to collaborate with someone who influenced me greatly in my early years was a dream come true. It was a great experience.. We both learned a lot from each other. It was weird to me that he played our songs, before announcing our collab, presenting them to you all, as his own new songs, and releasing them on 2 live records, 2 months before.. We talked about it, he knew i felt weird about.. We come from different backgrounds.. He's a singer/songwriter... They'll play what they want, when they want to. Now he's got more of our songs on live records coming and i'm sure they'll keep coming... At least now you all now know he wrote them to my music and having that aspect cleared up is important to me.

I am bummed we're not doing shows. But i'm extremely happy with this record and really honored that he reached out to me to do something different and that we all now have this record..

LettersinKanji said:
    I want to point out that this record sounds really great in headphones.

I mix EVERYTHING on headphones and really focus on headphone mixes so that is a HUGE compliment.. Thank you! Aaron Prellwitz and I would give every song a headphone run during mixing.. He did a great job and was great to work with too..

@TheAlbumLeaf

+1 for headphones thing

I've ONLY listened to this album on headphones.

@TheAlbumLeaf said:

sdnelso said:
    I would love to have just the instrumentals for this album!

Its a possibile!

Soundcloud! :)

Also while we're speaking of meeting Jimmy, although we haven't met, you photobombed one of my photos at the Mark Gardener/Adam Franklin/Rob Dickinson show at M-Theory. I probably deserved it since I was taking a lot of photos that night. ;)

Jimmy photobomb

click for the large version.

after a couple more listens, i have to say, this is a really great album.

• edited April 2013 Posts: 469

@lament
    Dat photobomb

I've listened to it a couple of times, and I think I will like this album a lot. However, I was surprised how melancholic and nostalgic most of this album sounds, even by Mark's standards (and his fansite is called sadwhatevers). So it's good to have some more light-hearted songs, like You Missed My Heart. Jimmy is credited on the live albums, by the way.

I'm also curious whether these songs were planned as being long, or whether Mark just wrote endless lyrics. I love long songs, and the endless/timeless songs were what got me into Sun Kil Moon in the first place.

Yeah @TheAlbumLeaf, did you write the music to the track length that they are, or did you just give ideas and then mark wrote lyrics and you built the song around that. I love how long the songs are. really gives room to flesh out the story lines

got my copy of PFTS in the mail Saturday, listened up through track 6 - diggin' it so far!

I'll post again after a few listens once it's had time to sink in.