Mark Kozelek & Jimmy LaValle: Perils From The Sea

Comments

@TheAlbumLeaf
    great album man! Gonna check into your older catalogues soon.
    When you were writing these songs, did you listen to MK's stuff before to try and get a feel of it, or not? If so how far did you go back?

• @AaronHenry - I've listened to Mark since around '94. Aside from that, I hadn't listened to his records since Old Ramon.. When we reconnected, he gave me a copy of Admiral Fell Promises. I know what he does musically so there was n't a need to get a feel for him.. I wanted to do the opposite of what he does.

• edited April 2013 Posts: 93

@deni yep that's what i'm hearing too. also always loved the intro of "Young Love," which also seems to incorporate some Christmasy melodies...

the more i listen to this album the more i love it, although i have to say it might be the most uniformly depressing album Koz has been a part of since Down Colorful Hill

really diggin Here Come More Perils From The Sea

Somehow The Wonder Of Life Prevails is probably the best track he's put out since maybe Carry Me Ohio or Duk Koo Kim

The daughter he is talking about is Katy's probably

@the_view_electrical My opinions are rather similar to yours.

I approached it with a kind of nervous excitement, and as open a mind as I could given that I don't generally listen to electronic stuff. The thought of new Koz songs thrilled me greatly but would I like his words set to drum beats and bleeping noises (sorry-I said I don't play much electronic music!) with little or no guitar? I'll admit I was a bit freaked out with a Mark Kozelek album opening with an electronic drum beat followed by some 'Pac-man' bleeping noises but I soon got into it!

I'm two listens in and for the most part find it refreshing and interesting. I'd have liked a bit more guitar and knowing Mark's penchant for bonus discs, perhaps he could have done a 4-track one with acoustic versions of the songs or something, but then some are on his upcoming live release and no doubt others will feature on future ones too. I agree about You Missed My Heart not quite sounding right, simply in the sense that most of us have heard his stunning solo version first.

I'm started to really like some of his storytelling on the more mundane aspects of life such as detailed in Gustavo, I suppose after ATL many of us have got used to this type of writing but I feel it comes off better in places on this album than on ATL.

Who knows why Mark is now doing the shows solo, possibly to do with him being out of his comfort zone, I mean Jimmy doing his stuff whilst Mark played guitar may not have worked, but Jimmy playing whilst Koz sits there singing without cradling his guitar, maybe Mark couldn't have done that, what would he do with his hands?!

I think over a few more listens I will appreciate this more and more. Lyrically there is a lot to take in as there's hardly a moment in 75 minutes when Mark is not singing, but at least I have the lyric book :)

Overall I'm glad that over 20 years after Down Colourful Hill, Mark is still making music and taking risks, respect to him for doing something different and well done Jimmy on your excellent input.

TheAlbumLeaf said:
    @salvador_sanchez - my feelings not hurt at all bud... Its just funny that you all think his version came first.. His version on guitar is a cover of the record version.. He performed these songs early on his own not saying anything about our collab leading you all to think they were his songs to begin with.. Not the case.. All the music was written first, then he wrote his lyrics and did his vocals.. Out of my hands that he decided to play our songs, and release his version before our record even came out.. But hey, this is his forum for his fans.. You're all entitled to your own opinions, including thinking he played guitar on Caroline..

Crikey. I hope you're at least credited for your contribution to You Missed My Heart in Mark's live record.

On my second listen through of the Pitchfork stream. This is one of the best albums MK has ever been a part of. Kudos to both MK / Jimmy LaValle for their respective contributions. I am really enjoying the electronics and the fact that this is new territory for MK (even though I'm not as familiar with TAL body of work this seems like new territory for Jimmy as well.) I also think this album has some very strong lyrics which is a huge selling point for myself. @TheAlbumLeaf - Not sure whether or not this was previously asked in the thread, but did you write any of the lyrics to any of the songs?

Sounds like there is some bullsh*t between Mark and Jimmy as a result of making the record. Unfortunate, but it's hard to gauge what it's like being in a world where you rely on making music for an income.

Either way, after one listen, I think the record is great. I'm surprised at how much I dig it. I thought ATL and AFP were both great, but wasn't really a fan of the recent covers record.

Can't wait until I have a night off and can sit on my roof and dig in a little deeper and listen more intently. Lots of storytelling in the album. Last track sounds great. I love Mark's nylon-string live versions of Heart and Ceiling Gazing, but I think the two versions on the album sound great, albeit in a completely different way.

Kudos to both on a solid record that will be getting a lot of play from me soon.

Hope there's a vinyl release on the way!

• I was really hesistant about this album. I wasn't that big of a fan of Admirel Fell Promises, although it has grown on me. I still haven't really gotten into Among the Leaves, besides for a few tracks like, "Young Love." And I barely listened to Like Rats.

But so far I am blown away by Perils From The Sea. I love how sprawling the lyrics are (good thing I ordered the lyric booklet edition). A lot of the lyrics kind of remind me of Raymond Carver's short stories. Especially, "Gustavo." Just a song about some guys you met who worked on your house. That's very Raymond Carver-esque. I do find that "You Missed My Heart" works, but I think we all just fell in love with live version from Melbourne.

I think Rollercoaster, Ghosts of the Great Highway, and Perils From The Sea may now be his top three records.

Also, on a coincidental side-note, I actually got into The Album Leaf and Sun Kil Moon from the same compliation. When I used to work for Starbucks, their music company, Hear Music, put out a cd called "Playlist Vol. 2" that I actually stole because I didn't feel like paying for it. Anyways, they had "Window" by The Album Leaf and "Gentle Moon" by Sun Kil Moon on there. I went out they next week and bought Ghosts of the Great Highway and In A Safe Place.

There's some nice stuff here, but my god is this a meandering, boring, repetitive album. Mark sings exactly the same on every track, and You Missed My Heart was ruined. Ceiling Gazing my have been ruined even more, at least YMMH actually had some chord changes and melody. Ceiling Gazing has incredible lyrics, but it's just 8 minutes of Koz singing over the same electro-beats.

Maybe it's because I heard the live versions first, but whatever. These songs are way too fucking long, jesus. I'm not sure if I'm biased against it because this is a Koz record and this isn't what I expect from him, but this is boring as shit. Some nice parts, but it's a massive disappointment.

That sounds kinda whiny, haha. Didn't really intend it to sound that way. The music is really nice throughout, but jeez the songs are just way too long.

• edited April 2013 Posts: 1,063

@TheAlbumLeaf said:
    But hey, this is his forum for his fans.. You're all entitled to your own opinions, including thinking he played guitar on Caroline..

To be clear, this site and forum are in no way official and have no Koz involvement or endorsement.

I'm just a fan who started this site 10 years ago because Mark had no Internet presence to speak of at the time. Koz does know about the site though, and once referred to it during a live show as "sadwhiners.com" when bitching about how he can't discuss anything at live shows because it'll show up the next day here on the site. :)

Jimmy - just wanted to thank you for participating here and answering questions here and on Twitter (I'm sadreminders on Twitter). It's great to have your involvement and insight.

I just finished listening to the album, and have to say I love it. I'm biased because I'm a San Diegan (currently in east bay) and have been a fan since Tristeza, and honestly when I first heard "What Happened To My Brother" it was odd to hear his voice over your music.. but it works. And most importantly to me - it's something different and something to get excited about. I can only take so much fingerpicking.

Caroline is the best track on the album. Just an amazing sound and production on it. The melody, double-tracking and backing vocals, guitar, the flow of the lyrics - it all comes together beautifully.

Anyway.. I'm curious how the sending of music back and forth works. Are you guys Dropboxing .wav files or is it more lo-fi like sending CDs?

Yeah Caroline really is fantastic I agree.Nobody has mentioned the 2nd track 1936 as far as I can see.Really love that...in fact its all good to me to be honest.People asking about how to get the latest live cd.Heirlooms of August it will be for me

@MrHanky

Yeah, 1936 is a corker, one of my favourites so far.

• @eggs - not sure if I'm credited for YMMH, but I am getting mechanical royalties, which is all he's legally binded to do..
    @bacong - wow. Good for you. I actually asked mark to try and sing differently because I thought every song sounded the same.. I wish i could copy paste his response to that email..
    @lament - I know you're sadreminders! Of course!
    @charlie - just as mark had no input with the music, I had no input with the lyrics.. It was all mark. He would have lyrics very quickly by the way. I was really surprised. Like a day or so after I sent a song, he would respond saying "I've goty lyrics for this song, I'll call it, you missed my heart" for example..
    Gustavo is a true story. And, a lot of these lyrics are true stories. Great record lyrically on marks part, I agree.. I'm extremely grateful that the music i wrote for him inspired these lyrics from him. Even if "you missed my heart" was introduced as his own song. That was hard for me to stay quiet on...
    @MrHanky - 1936 was the 2nd track I wrote for us. I thought it was weird in a fresh way. Came out cool to me. Super weird story on marks part.. Dairy queen reference is genuis! Caroline was the 3rd.
    @FlyThem - there was only bullshit after the fact. Which sucks, yes. I was supposed to play the LA show with him, but he pulled that plug. I understand though. We are both the captains of our own ships. So when 2 captains work together... (Self explanatory??)

• And @lament, I would be most appreciative if some started an album leaf fan site on my behalf, so kudus to you! It's a great site!

• @lament - I would upload Zero'd files of the tracks via our Dropbox. And after his vox were tracked, they'd send me back a stereo mix of his vox. Based on that, if add more to the tracks.
    For example, Gustavo, I sent him only the keyboard line and drums. After his vox I added a counter melody, bass, organ etc...

Other songs had a similar stripped down approach to him ... "Caroline", "Here Come More Perils from the Sea" (probably my favorite track on the record)

• edited April 2013 Posts: 175

Listening to the album on the Pitchfork stream as I await delivery of my physical copy...and I'm really liking it so far. Yes, Mark uses the same syncopation (is this the right term?) in some of the songs, similar to his vocal delivery on Among The Leaves (think Track No.8, UK Blues) but the electronic backing is a very refreshing change to what we've been used to. It's unusual to have Mark's voice so stark in the mix and without the massive amount of reverb he uses in a live setting, but it works.

@TheAlbumLeaf why the change of name from Sun Kil Moon & The Album Leaf to Mark Kozelek and Jimmy LaValle? Let me guess, Mark wanted to change it and...!

I've been listening to the stream on repeat for the last day and I personally love this album. It is easily my favorite work of Mark's since April.

Question for you @TheAlbumLeaf as this is the first time I've been introduced to your music if i wanted to dig deeper into your catalog where would you suggest I start? I've never asked someone in a band that questions so sorry if it's weird but is there an album you are the most proud of?

@TheAlbumLeaf your input here has been absolutely fascinating. Really appreciate you giving insight to how this record was written and recorded. I think your honesty and openness is winning folks over here. I've honestly only heard a bit of your work, but I'm gonna dive into it more

• edited April 2013 Posts: 93

agree with @zeejaydee . as Kozelek fans, we are given lots of treats (especially if you like live CDs) but an open and honest discourse with the artist is definitely not one of them. awesome to have this opportunity!

@lament at least tell me you have sadwhiners.com redirecting to Sad Reminders :) ?

• "Somehow the Wonder of Life Prevails" hits me pretty hard emotionally, despite a couple of lines that I think could have used some editing. "Gustavo" is also great, and obviously I liked all the pre-release tracks. I'll try to formulate some fuller thoughts on the record at some point, but overall I like it.

I think Mark's newish style of matter of fact lyrics work so well with this different musical approach. there's a emotional element to the musicality that's been absent for a while. You have to think that @TheAlbumLeaf influence on the music put Mark in a place to write what I think are some of his most personal lyrics since April

• This album is awesome.... I'm still having trouble getting over the electronic vs guitar thing... It's weird to hear him singing over video game sounds, but it definitely fits the vibe of the lyrics...

Standouts for me are Gustavo, Ceiling Gazing, Missed My Heart (thought I prefer the acoustic guitar versions to the electronic ones), Caroline and He Always Felt LIke Dancing... The outro in Always felt like Dancing is pure gold....

Wish they would tour on this.... I wasn't gonna buy it, but now that I've heard it and love it, definitely gonna put the cash down!

• @TheAlbumleaf enjoying the album today on pitchfork advance. You are a stand-up dude for being so engaged with this forum and answering everyone's questions. Best of luck to you and congrats on impending fatherhood! It is an amazing and wonderful experience. You will love it.

finally got my shipping confirmation today...

been abstaining from listening to anything off the new record until I have the physical copy in hand.
    (I know, I know - I'm weird that way?!)

really glad to see that so many folks here are diggin' the record - which says a lot, being that we're no stranger to harsh Koz critiques here!

;^)

& yes, thanks @TheAlbumLeaf for your input here - it's a really rad gesture on your part!

can't wait to hear this!!!

• Noise_Annoys said:
    @TheAlbumLeaf why the change of name from Sun Kil Moon & The Album Leaf to Mark Kozelek and Jimmy LaValle? Let me guess, Mark wanted to change it and...!

Yes.. Mark wanted to change it to clear up any confusion. He says he sells more under Mark Kozelek than SKM.

mcnish said:
    Question for you @TheAlbumLeaf as this is the first time I've been introduced to your music if i wanted to dig deeper into your catalog where would you suggest I start? I've never asked someone in a band that questions so sorry if it's weird but is there an album you are the most proud of?

I'd say start with "a chorus of storytellers" and work your way back.. although, it seems "in a safe place" is most peoples favorite.. I recorded it in Iceland and the Sigur Ros dudes played on it. i'm also proud of my last EP, "forward/return" because I recorded it all at home and i think it sounds different than my other records..

salvador_sanchez said:
    @TheAlbumleaf enjoying the album today on pitchfork advance. You are a stand-up dude for being so engaged with this forum and answering everyone's questions. Best of luck to you and congrats on impending fatherhood! It is an amazing and wonderful experience. You will love it.

Thanks man! i'm very much looking forward to it!