Idaho

2»

Comments

• damn... :'^(

• Really sad and maybe not the right thing to say but he left behind a great legacy. That first Idaho album is really wonderful.

• Thought I'd give this topic a bump after randomly spotting & buying Year After Year on CD for £3 yesterday. I had it long ago, in the days of the old forum, perhaps I listened a couple of times and didn't dig it at the time & musta traded it in with a bunch of stuff one time. Anyway, I can't think why I once ousted this from my collection, its a great album!

God's Green Earth, Skyscrape, Sundown, The Only Road and Endgame (yes, I namechecked half the album) are awesome. I love the way they followed up the 2 most relatively upbeat numbers (musically at least) with slow, plodding heavy ones: Gone, after Skyscrape, and The Only Road, after One Sunday.

The Only Road absolutely slays, especially with the chilling false ending.

So where do I go next ?

• JRSJRS
    edited October 2017 Posts: 554

@Thunderbolt said:
    Thought I'd give this topic a bump after randomly spotting & buying Year After Year on CD for £3 yesterday. I had it long ago, in the days of the old forum, perhaps I listened a couple of times and didn't dig it at the time & musta traded it in with a bunch of stuff one time. Anyway, I can't think why I once ousted this from my collection, its a great album!

God's Green Earth, Skyscrape, Sundown, The Only Road and Endgame (yes, I namechecked half the album) are awesome. I love the way they followed up the 2 most relatively upbeat numbers (musically at least) with slow, plodding heavy ones: Gone, after Skyscrape, and The Only Road, after One Sunday.

The Only Road absolutely slays, especially with the chilling false ending.

So where do I go next ?

I would try ‘We Were Young And Needed The Money’ next. Followed by ‘Levitate’ and then ‘Hearts Of Palm’. All great albums, you can’t go wrong really. Some epic instrumentals on the latter album.

• JRSJRS

• It really depends what you like about Idaho. Year After Year is hands down a top 10 album of all time for me. My second-favorite is probably This Way Out, mostly because my own band sounded a lot like that when I first heard it several years ago. There's something to like on pretty much every album, though. You Were a Dick has a terrible title but is actually great, so I will give that a shout-out, because the title made me want to skip it.

• edited November 2017 Posts: 689

Thanks, I'll try and source the other albums. As a bass player I love the dirty bass sound on some of the Year After Year songs

• He also just released People Like Us Didn't Stop, which is a sequel to People Like Us Should Be Stopped that has live recordings from 1994-2008: https://idaho.bandcamp.com/album/people-like-us-didnt-stop-live-vol-2

• So, I asked for advice and will probably end up listening to them in release order after all! Just got hold of This Way Out and Three Sheets to the Wind through Discogs. Looking forward to hearing them as been playing Year After Year a lot recently.

• edited February 2018 Posts: 689

Really enjoying my Idaho journey of discovery. This Way Out has a great vibe. I was actually surprised by how uptempo it was after listening to Year After Year a lot. It really is very different from the debut, but I like the progression, and love the fact that it ends with 'Forever', which stands out from the rest of the album as it has more of a Year After Year feel, but works well as a closer.

Three Sheets To The Wind is excellent too, but moves away from the slowcore sound even more, towards more of an alternative / indie rock kinda sound. The run of songs in the middle, Stare At The Sky, No Ones Watching, Alive Again & A Sound Awake is awesome.

When I get into a band, I can get quite obsessive, so have been hunting down as much Idaho stuff as I can, working roughly in chronological order. The compilation 'We Were Young And Needed The Money' is a great collection of random, mostly previously unreleased songs. I especially like the Year After Year outtakes, the 1995 Bayonet EP era songs & the1996 post-3 Sheets songs. If the latter are any indication of what is on the Forbidden EP / Alas album, then I am in for a treat (I've got it on order).

A Year After Year reissue would be good, with a second disc including Traces, Drown, Carefully Turning, Star, Hail Mary, the 3 non album Palms EP songs Creep, Fall Around & You Are There, and possibly Tear (not sure a studio version was ever recorded, just the live 'People Like Us Should Be Stopped' one?)

So, am looking forward to Forbidden / Alas arriving on my doormat & working forward from there. Also, if anyone has the vinyl only b-sides Star & Hail Mary they could send me, I'd love to get those songs (I don't have a turntable). Looking out for the Bayonet EP too but it goes for silly money on Discogs, so if anyone can help me out with those songs then drop me a PM. I would buy them if at all possible but they're not on iTunes / Amazon, etc or on Jeff's website. Thanks.

Oh and I only just realised that they used these unusual, 4-stringed 'tenor' guitars. Never seen these before! Interesting article about how Jeff came to use these guitars & adopt weird tunings :

http://www.slidingpast.com/press/1995/ap0695.htm

• @Thunderbolt said:
    A Year After Year reissue would be good, with a second disc including Traces, Drown, Carefully Turning, Star, Hail Mary, the 3 non album Palms EP songs Creep, Fall Around & You Are There, and possibly Tear (not sure a studio version was ever recorded, just the live 'People Like Us Should Be Stopped' one?)

Jeff is quite interactive with fans online, and folks have asked him about this. It turns out that Caroline (and/or its parent company, Universal) own the first three records, and aren't particularly interested in parting with them, but also don't see a reissue as profitable, so they're stuck in out-of-print limbo. I mentioned to him that (supposedly) Mark was able to buy Old Ramon back from Island back in the day, and he said he hadn't really tried and was going to look into it, but I don't know if he has...

• edited July 2018 Posts: 689

Absolutely loving Idaho. Got hold of CDs of Forbidden / Alas, Hearts Of Palm, Levitate, and even the ultra rare Bayonet EP. Had to get some from Europe as they rarely come up in the UK. I think now I just need The Lone Gunman, You Were A Dick and the most recent live compilation, People Like Us Didn't Stop. If anyone has the vinyl only b-sides Star & Hail Mary they could send me, I'd love to get those songs, please give me a shout.

There's some real slow burners on the albums. After hearing each album a few times, there were standout tracks, but over time songs/parts you'd overlooked reveal something to you. Jeff mentioned on his message board that he's hoping to get a new album out before long. Look forward to that.