30 Seconds to the Decline of Planet Earth

13»

Comments

Relistened to this today at work and the final verdict is that it's aight. I enjoy the music quite a bit, Mark's rambling less so, although there are a few touching passages throughout.

• edited May 2017 Posts: 217

@LettersinKanji @mojofilters I don't see where you come from with that criticism. all I see here is people disliking the record and the current trends in MK's songwriting. Btw I'm just describing how I perceive people's attitude on this forum, don't take it as an endorsement of it. I kinda like CALALARVOB and that new record too and I think there is something unique and very bold about Kozelek's new approach and if I were to criticize it, it wouldn't be on grounds of laziness.

The only thing that truly baffles me though is the number of people who greatly dislike MK's music now and still go out and buy the records.

I guess I get being a completist but... It's like buying and forcing oneself to eat a food product that makes one retch. Why support an artist whose work you don't like? By buying his current records you're actually empowering him to make more of that music you dislike. That. Makes. No. Sense.

• I wasn't a huge fan of the first collaboration, but really like at least four tracks from this album.

I was reading some of the comments. If you don't like the music, shut the fuck up and don't buy it. Go play ball with your kids, or make love to your boyfriend instead of pissing all over everything. What songs have you written and published, brother?

• I really dig this record. Not huge on "He's Bad" or "Greatest Conversation" (and no, I didn't listen to them beforehand), but everything else is good to great. There's some really beautiful music on here, and Mark's narratives, I think, are becoming more fun to follow. The first Jesu collaboration was a huge disappointment-- not a bad album, but I'm a fan of both artists and really thought that a lot of that record felt sloppily thrown together. Here, I don't get that feeling at all. There are some really beautiful arrangements, and I'm glad they ditched the heavy riffs of the first record. Definitely a marked improvement over the debut.

@amalgam9virgo said:
    I was reading some of the comments. If you don't like the music, shut the fuck up and don't buy it. Go play ball with your kids, or make love to your boyfriend instead of pissing all over everything. What songs have you written and published, brother?

Which Koz interview is this an excerpt from?

Gonna listen to this in the week. Looking forwards to it as I like the 3 songs I've heard from it and enjoyed their collaboration last year.

@amalgam9virgo said:
    I wasn't a huge fan of the first collaboration, but really like at least four tracks from this album.

Hello Mark, welcome to the site. Your new Jesu / SKM album just arrived at my house. Looking forward to playing it

• edited May 2017 Posts: 687

@MrHanky said:

Yeah, that's a good point. Oh well, there's always hope of something better next year. :wink:

Well I see on CVR Yellow Kitchen (the cover is certainly yellow) a collaboration by Mark Kozelek & Sean Yeaton coming out on Independence Day 4th of July & we still have the soundtrack to "Pretenders" the film directed by James Franco to come too

Sean Yeaton is bassist with a brilliant band called Parquet Courts i just found out

This 'Yellow Kitchen' thing is intriguing. . . Jeez, how many things is Mark working on at any given time? The man never stops! Could be a good release this one. . . Considering its less than 2 months from release, there is very little info put out so far & no pre-order yet

I'm waiting for the Weird Al collaboration.

Listened to all but the last 2 songs of 30 Seconds this morning then had to leave for work. Holy crap, Wheat Bread goes on for SEVENTEEN MINUTES. Also that song alone probably contains more words than another artist's entire album. It really does feel now that he's going for a Guinness World Record for the number of words sung (and/or spoken/shouted/rapped) on a CD. Later in the album he himself even questions how long his song is going on for (Bombs).

Early impressions are for me this is slightly better than Common, thought that is not saying a lot, but it also contains some of his worst lyrics to date and I guess by far the highest F-bomb count. Still, entertaining and funny in places though I miss some of the crunching riffs of Jesu / SKM. Definitelty less dreary than Common.

This is probably wrong but I laughed uproariously at "He didn't stop til he got enough" on He's Bad (hadn't heard before). I've always found Wacko to be an amusing character so found the song quite funny, though also cringeworthy at the same time.

This is a surprisingly good record, especially considering the disaster that was the first record with Jesu. As others have pointed out, the movement from harsh digital distortion towards techno is a welcome change.

"Dream of Winter" and "Wheat Bread" are classics, and "Bombs" is excellent. "20 Something" is well above mediocre. It's hard to point to even one classic from CALALARVOB, although "I Love Portugal" is arguably one, save for essentially the second half of the song.

CALALARVOB does have many interesting musical passages throughout, and I find myself coming back to the album. But it's also tedious and overwhelming in places. 30 Seconds is probably a more enjoyable record.

Shocking that "Wheat Bread" is 17 minutes, it feels about half that.

• edited May 2017 Posts: 687

Just listened to this album 3 times in a row and its really growing on me. I couldn't do that with Common, its hard even taking that a disc at a time (Agree with @Alex312 at it being 'tedious and overwhelming in places'). This is way more interesting musically, though I actually enjoyed some of the loud guitars on Jesu/SKM and would have liked a bit more of that sound again. Just noticed that I commented on 'some of his worst lyrics to date' after my first listen, I actually think there is some really funny stuff on here.

Only negatives for me here are the laziness of passages like in He's Bad (blah blah, woah woah) and in the delivery of some of the vocals such as the high pitched stuff late on in Wheat Bread which sounds pretty bad. Vocals a lot of artists would be embarrassed about, but seemingly recorded in one take and he didn't give a shit how it came out. Also some of the vocal echo / double tracking or whatever it is, you know the parts where it sounds like there are 7 Marks talking / singing all at once! Also I'd prefer a traditional flip page lyric booklet to the gigantic fold out sheet with tiny writing on. Have you tried holding & following that for 70-odd minutes without losing your place?!

On the plus side, its a less oppressive record than Common, in terms of both the lyrical themes & musically. There's not really anything I'd skip on 30 Seconds, whereas there's not really anything I enjoy hearing on Common, after God Bless Ohio. The first time I heard Wheat Bread I was wandering in and out of the room doing jobs, thinking "This is going on, and on, and on" and now I really like it. Twenty Something is quite different, in a good way, and Dream of Winter a nice closer with more familiar territory; the finger picking which for years fans claimed to be getting tired of and then seemingly missed when he moved away from it !

So this is a pretty decent release for me and is a far more enjoyable album than Common. I'm surprised there aren't more posts on this. Have people not heard it yet or have you all given up on Mark?!

• I enjoy like half of the album and I can listen to it in its entirety. Can't do that with Common, although I kinda liked that, too, but I haven't listened to it in a while because the songs sort of fade away with multiple listenings. Common is more than just a music album. It's so many things but probably least of all a proper album, which is what I think is appealing about it. But because of that I can't listen to it anymore I think. It's used up, the jokes work for the first couple of listens and the stories are interesting but then after even more playthroughs it gets old. And I don't even mean that in a bad way.

Anyway, back to 30 Seconds. I think this one could stay with me for longer. I think You are Me and I Am You, Needles Disney and Twenty Something are great songs.
    He's Bad was very funny on the first listen (really cracked up at the end with "he didn't stop til he got enough") but then again it's such a controverse subject and a questionable viewpoint Mark is proclaiming and (I'm not really familiar with the evidence he's mentioning) probably not properly backed and was just written while he was taking a shit at the airport right after the conversation with this girl.

You are Me and I Am You was an instant classic for me when I heard it live in San Francisco and I really was looking forward to the release because of it.
    And I love Elaine, so I really was excited because of the Pre- or Sequel to it with Needles Disney. A really interesting story and very well written.

So, I'd agree. A decent release.

Ok so this is weird. On my cd the song he's bad from the album 30 seconds to the decline of planet earth is now without the intro and is 6:39 long. On google it lists the song as being 6:39 long but the versions on YouTube (6:55) and the sun kil moon website are how I remember them, with intro.
    Can anyone help explain that please?

@Altrax77 said:
    Ok so this is weird. On my cd the song he's bad from the album 30 seconds to the decline of planet earth is now without the intro and is 6:39 long. On google it lists the song as being 6:39 long but the versions on YouTube (6:55) and the sun kil moon website are how I remember them, with intro.
    Can anyone help explain that please?

The intro to the song is at the end of The Greatest Conversation Ever in the History of the Universe on the CD for some reason. Some kind of production error, I imagine.

"Mark Kozelek Song Not Long Enough" SHOCKER

After Wheat Bread, I'm expecting a 79 minute single track CD is on the cards, lyrics in a 250 page limited hardback book

With Caroline mentioned 47 times. We get it, you have a girlfriend.

@KozFan said:
    With Caroline mentioned 47 times. We get it, you have a girlfriend.

:smiley:

And everybody said amen ..

Ok that's weird. My comment was in reference to a post that is no longer there. It could be that he saw my thing and deleted his within an hour of posting it. Too bad -- it was a good review ...
    Question to @lament - did you delete his comment? (I don't recall anything in it that was against community rules of the board). If not, are we actually able to delete our own comments? If so, how?

@micro77s said:
    Ok that's weird. My comment was in reference to a post that is no longer there. It could be that he saw my thing and deleted his within an hour of posting it. Too bad -- it was a good review ...
    Question to @lament - did you delete his comment? (I don't recall anything in it that was against community rules of the board). If not, are we actually able to delete our own comments? If so, how?

Not sure I'm understanding. I didn't see this discussion this last week. Who did you respond to?

I didn't delete anything, and as I have an admin account, I can't remember if users are allowed to edit/delete comments.

Hover over your post and a little cog comes up. Can you edit or delete?

• edited June 2017 Posts: 147

@lament said:
    Not sure I'm understanding. I didn't see this discussion this last week. Who did you respond to?

I didn't delete anything, and as I have an admin account, I can't remember if users are allowed to edit/delete comments.

Hover over your post and a little cog comes up. Can you edit or delete?

It was more of an affirmation than a response. Not sure who wrote it, but I really related to it and wish it were still there.

The 'little cog' that comes up only stays for one hour after you first post. During that time, you can edit but not completely delete. If you fail to make your move in that hour, the post remains forever (unless I'm missing something). I tend to be a little leery of posting on this board because of that, as sometimes I post late at night when I'm tired or drunk or really pissed off with the Koz. Then, in a fit of shame and contrition, I go back to delete it and I can't. Thus, my bad reputation around here .. it would be really nice if there was a way to modify the edit feature so we can have a chance to repent of our 'Koz sins' when we're feeling remorseful after one hour :blush:

personally i'm very grateful that Mark record so many songs.
    who cares about career? if he can make a living on that, he's right
    he won't be billionaire, but he's free to do whatever he wants.

Sorry to bring this old thread back up, but when this album originally came out on CD, the track "He's Bad" has a manufacturing error on my copy. The song actually starts on track 4 and finishes on track 5. So if you go to track 5 and hit play, it starts in the middle of the song. I reached out to Caldo Verde several times to see about getting a fixed copy but they ignored me.

Does anybody have the album on CD without the manufacturing defect? I'm just wondering if correct versions exist. I'm thinking about re-buying the CD if the track order has been fixed. If anybody can confirm if their CD copy has the defect or not I'd appreciate it.

• edited May 2018 Posts: 109

Mine has the error (He's Bad starts about 13 seconds before the end of track four), which I'd never noticed before. I'd say you shouldn't be optimistic about ever seeing a corrected copy -- surely Mark just produces one batch of whatever he puts out these days and then moves on?

So if you play the album straight through it’s not a problem? Only if you want to play isolated tracks?

Yeah playing it straight through you don't notice it. It's just the individual tracks 4 & 5 aren't correct. But of course if you rip the CD to MP3s, "He's Bad" would be on two tracks. It's just kind of annoying.

I do agree that Mark probably does one pressing of CDs most of the time, but for some that are big sellers he's done additional presses. Obviously Benji had to have more than one since there was initially a 2CD pressing and now it's just available as a single disc. Same thing with Among the Leaves. I'm not sure how popular the Jesu / Sun Kil Moon albums are, but they probably are more popular than his solo stuff as Mark Kozelek. So there's a chance "30 Seconds to the Decline of Planet Earth" could get a 2nd pressing where the tracks are fixed.

Isn’t there a way to rip where you leave no gap between tracks? Or would that affect the whole album?